Google home hub dropping connection

Hi my Google home hub is extremely slow when connecting to the router through DHCP on pihole it's the only device with issues. I turned pihole off to see if it was causing the issue and when it connected directly to the router without pihole there was no issues. The device also drops connection when connected through pihole

Debug Token:

xh7u89jcam

Hasn't worked at all when pi hole is enabled

No domains are blocked. I've now worked out that its only when there's more than 10 devices connected to the network so thought it could be a network limitation yet when pi hole is disabled and more than 10 devices are connected it works fine

What screen or output are you viewing that confirms that no domains are blocked? There are almost 140K domains in your gravity list and it is likely that one of them blocks a google domain.

Your Google hub is connecting properly to DHCP, I assume? If so, what is the assigned IP of the hub? The snippet of your Pi-Hole log included in your debug log shows connections to clients 77, 147, 241, 205, and 81. There may be more that are not shown in the snippet.

This should not be the case. Pi-Hole can handle all the IP addresses in the range of your network (more than 10 connections).

I suspect that there is a domain being blocked that interferes with the operation of the Google hub. With the IP address of the hub, we should be able to find the queries in your pihole log.

Noted you are running Pi-Hole v 3.3. Have you given any consideration to updating to V4? It has significant improvements.

https://pi-hole.net/2018/08/06/pi-hole-v4-0-released-with-ftldns-improved-blocking-modes-regex-docker-and-more/

1 Like

Hi I have updated to v4 it has improved, but I am still recieving drop outs I was viewing the query for specifically the home hub to check that there was no blocked domains. It is client 46.

Run this command to search for transactions in your pihole.log for that client and post the output:

sudo grep '192.168.0.46' /var/log/pihole.log

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11VhMH508KJCws-h9at2D5qgawvupq_-F/view?usp=drivesdk
Upload txt to drive as it was a very large output

The first debug log is with V3.3. If you have updated Pi-Hole since then, please run a new debug log and post the token here so we can see the current configuration.

New debug token: wugwxvl61u

Specifically, what is happening here? Streaming music pauses or breaks up? Slow to respond to voice commands?

Sometimes it doesn't respond at all when it does it's really slow and streaming music works for around 20 seconds then stops

Since your Pi-Hole isn't blocking any of the queries from this device, I would recommend that you bypass Pi-Hole DNS for this client as @anon55913113 suggested, but you won't need to disable Pi-Hole DHCP for this.

Awesome thanks I shall give it a go

Do you have any settings in your router to redirect Google DNS Server requests to your Pi-Hole ?!
If so, remove them and see if it helps.

If not : Have you considered that this might be a network related issue and not a DNS issue ?

Poor WiFi signal, multicast/broadcast storms, etc... :wink:

I've tried the Mac address block what jfb suggested and it appears to be working for now

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.