Google chrome and chromium base bypass pi-hole - how to fix this?

I tried to block tiktok.com and it appears that google chrome or any chromium based browser would not block the domain despite my adding tiktok.com to the block list.

after a few testing here my result

Windows 11
-- Firefox works as expected
-- Google Chrome, Chromium, and Brave -- all bypass the blocked domain I add to the block list this testing I use " TikTok.com "

Ubuntu 22.04
-- Firefox works as expected
-- Brave work as expected
-- Google Chrome bypasses the blocked domain I add to the block list this testing I use " TikTok.com "

Android

Everything By Pass no matter what I use

IPad
-- safari work as expected

I try to find answers to how to solve this problem and a lot suggested turning off DNS Over HTTPS, however, I could not find this option anymore in the latest google chrome, brave.

Firefox has " DNS Over HTTPS " turned on, but it does not bypass any pihole blocked domains.

I set firewall rules to only allow DNS traffic to and from pihole server and block other

I attach an image of the test on ads block tester Firefox vs Google Chrome

Debug Token:

[✓] Your debug token is: https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/CSnta1z8/
[i] Logs are deleted 48 hours after upload.

In Chrome, look for the secure DNS setting and turn it off.

chrome://settings/security?search=dns

did that still same ..

and

Try closing all your tabs and completely closing Chrome and then relaunching it. It may need to be closed and reopened in order to pick up the changed setting. Then test again.

If Chrome has the domains cached from when it was using secure DNS, it will not request the domains again (and Pi-hole won't block them) until the TTL has elapsed.

is there a way to check it ? or clear it or something ? ..

this same beheaver only happen in windows and android ..

Clear the Chrome cache and stored information, then restart Chrome.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.