Giving RPi with Pi-hole as a gift

I know it is possible to purchase a RPi with Pi-hole pre-installed. However, I would like to make surch a “package” myself, and give it as a gift to friends and family. Is there any info on how to do this - with the goal that the recepient don’t get a lot of job customizing it… Is that even possible?

Giving a pi-hole is much like giving a kitten, it involves ongoing work to keep it happy and them learning the basics of Pi care. If you pick the folks carefully and train them then all will be well. Folks that can’t master the skills will likely be calling you quite unhappy with their broken Internet.

Would it be possible to set up the RPi to automatic update so that I/they wouldn’t have to? Would it be wise to set up ssh access with ufw and fail2ban so that could help them from distance? And also set up basic filter lists so that they wouldn’t need to change anything immediately? It would be best if I could only instruct them (or help them) to only change the DNS in their router, and give RPi a static ip.

Any other suggestions?

There is no compelling reason to have auto-updates, this will likely cause more problems that it solves.

Pi-Hole will maintain itself, with automatic gravity updates weekly and log rotations nightly.

I have a few remote installs, and the way I maintain them if needed is to Skype the person, share their screen and walk them through any steps they need to do.

Mailing them work may not go over well. For my remote installs, I installed them in person, and showed the user how the GUI works. I also limited the blocklists and in the short time I was there, we tailored the whitelist for their needs.

You have a few options.

1. Balena Cloud (from the makers of Etcher) - let you easily make custom iso for deployment across multiple RPi. The benefit of their cloud is that each RPi will be available to your cloud account for pushing updates, etc. The downside is that each RPi is not standalone and >10 devices cost a subscription. Amazon and Azure also have IoT platforms but I have not researched those as of yet.

2. Create a set of commands that deploys RPi+Pi-Hole with minimum fuss. I’m working on such a list. Personally, I favor this because I’d rather keep dependencies on other platforms to a minimum and keep each RPi as a standalone platform that the end user controls (even if they never exercise that control) rather than something that I control. If you’re interested, I’ll be happy to post my progress.