FTL v5.16.2 fails if no IPv6 is available

This corrected my issue on Buster.

I can confirm this fixed the same problem for me.

LJ

Confirming I was having the same issue, and this branch fixed the issue.

Would this fix be related to resolving my problem of my log constantly blowing up with the following?

Warning in dnsmasq core:
no address range available for DHCPv6 request via wlan0

PiHole points me to your documentation which does not cover the above warning. I've been trying to figure this out for weeks and I'm absolutely dumbfounded and frustrated by it.

I've had a similar experience as OP: I've been using PiHole for about a year for site-blocking and DNS capabilities, has been buttery smooth for me until the past few weeks when a pihole -up started spiking my logs with this same redundant error until my DNS server eventually crashes, the dashboard flips to showing NaN everywhere, and I'm required reboot the device.

If the issue I'm describing sounds like it does not overlap with the OP's issue, I'll open a new topic.

Thanks in advance!

Also, I'm new here and not very familiar with what this command is doing, I'm assuming it's putting me onto an unstable branch for testing, but I can't find any instructions on how to go back to the stable branch after doing so.

Can you or someone please provide the command to reverse it?

pihole checkout ftl master

1 Like

@bdrelling What you are describing is an altogether different issue and comes from the embedded dnsmasq

It does, almost at the bottom of the page:

Got it, thank you for the link. I looked at every single one of these that seemed similar and thought mine was specific to wlan0. I've previously tried going through every topic I can find related to no address range and DHCPv6 and nothing has resolved my problem. This issue came out of nowhere a few weeks ago after a pihole -up and my DNS seems to crash every few days, and I haven't changed my configuration in any way since I set the whole thing up.

I'll open up a new topic of course, wasn't intending to hijack this one, I just don't even know how to describe what's going on and the logs and data are getting cleared when it happens, so I don't have anything to go off of.

Is it possible to downgrade my pihole version easily, or do I need to export my data, re-install, and import my data again? I'd like to downgrade and start working through the versions to sanity test if something happened on my network or if there was a change in pihole that's caused this so I can provide better information to your team.

Thanks again.

Just signed up, been lurking off and on for a while.

Relaying this was the silver bullet to my issue today. Decided to manually update today, instead of the monthly auto update tomorrow night. Tie in my Mikrotik forcing DNS (best it and my understanding can) to the PiHole, this was a fun trip and learning experience to say the least, lol.

I don't have IPv6 running on my home network. Had too many bugs, not enough devices to concern myself over, on top of other life and tech stuff, lol.

Don't do this. We strongly recommend that you read the release notes prior to manually updating your Pi-hole installation. Some updates are breaking, and sooner or later you are going to wake up to a broken Pi-hole and no backup.

Everything is back to working well with this branch for me as well.

Thanks for all the swift testing + confirmation! The next version of FTL has been released including the fix for this issue. Please update and run

pihole checkout master

to get back on-track if you used my command above. The fix/feature branch you switched to will not receive any further updates.

Thanks for helping us to make Pi-hole better for us all!

4 Likes

Hello:

I had the same problem.

FWIW:
My OS of choice is Devuan Linux (yes, I know ...)

user@devuan:~$ uname -a
Linux devuan 5.10.0-0.bpo.15-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.10.120-1~bpo10+1 (2022-06-13) x86_64 GNU/Linux
user@devuan:~$ 

And I run Pi-Hole on a Devuan Linux VM inside my main box:

user@chimaera:~$ uname -a
Linux chimaera 5.10.0-9-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.10.70-1 (2021-09-30) x86_64 GNU/Linux
user@chimaera:~$ 

No IPv6 enabled in the box, the VM or the ADSL router.

This fixed the problem without a hitch.
So ...
Thank you very much for your effort. 8^)

Best,

JHM

Thank you - FTLv5.16.3 is working well for me. :+1:

A post was split to a new topic: FTL 5.16.3 problems

So, silly question. If you checked out this FTL dev version to get things running again, what's the procedure to get things back to the main "official" version again?

1 Like

Well, that didn't seem to do it? I rebooted the box and all that.

What is the output from this command: