FTL v5.16.2 fails if no IPv6 is available

I think that I'm seeing this problem as well. Question to OP: Is FTL actually running?

When I send

sudo systemctl start pihole-FTL.service

there is no response, like a good little daemon. Then...nothing.

ps ax | grep FTL

comes back with only the query itself.

I just don't think that FTL is running on my system. (At least, I can't prove that it is.) If it's silently failing, then it would, AFAIK, explain everything.

In my log, the last log that I see from the startup process is:

Started LSB: pihole-FTL daemon

Sending a restart signal inserts a

Not running

at the beginning at the beginning of the process, which I think supports my idea.

By the way, I just checked my apt log, and Ubuntu pushed a libunbound8 update that I upgraded to just before pihole blew up. I have no idea if it's relevant, but it's worth mentioning.

After a systemctl restart the FTL.log says 53 and 4711 is listened on.
Fact is it is not according to ss and htop.

I'm having the same problem:
I did an update and now get:

Error
There was a problem applying your settings.
Debugging information:
PHP error (2): fsockopen(): unable to connect to 127.0.0.1:4711 (Connection refused) in /var/www/html/admin/scripts/pi-hole/php/FTL.php:44 

FTL is not running

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ pihole -up
  [✓] Update local cache of available packages
  [i] Existing PHP installation detected : PHP version 7.4.30
  [✓] Checking for git
  [✓] Checking for iproute2
  [✓] Checking for dialog
  [✓] Checking for ca-certificates

[i] Checking for updates...
  [i] Pi-hole Core:	up to date
  [i] Web Interface:	up to date
  [i] FTL:		up to date

[✓] Everything is up to date!
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ ps ax | grep FTL
   1290 pts/0    S+     0:00 grep --color=auto FTL

My debug log:
https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/AEaaY9Ng/

Found this issue on github, enabling ipv6 in /boot/cmdline.txt and restarting seems to fix the issue.

Having this same issue, but following these steps to enable ipv6 isn't resolving it for me yet. I can't confirm that I've gotten IPv6 turned on, since I'm not using it on my network.

1 Like

Ok,

After disabling ipv6 in
sudo nano /etc/default/grub
and doing
sudo update-grub
sudo reboot
it seems to work again.

We found the reason why it's failing when no IPv6 is available. We'll prepare a fix for this.

3 Likes

This worked perfectly on Ubuntu Server 20.04, thanks!

Please try if

pihole checkout ftl fix/no_telnet_is_okay

resolves the issue for you. We still expect an error getting into your log but FTL won't fail hard at this point - but simply accept it cannot serve the API on IPv6.

We can quickly release a v5.16.3 if the fix is confirmed to be sufficient.

I can confirm this has fixed the issue on raspberry pi.

This corrected my issue on Buster.

I can confirm this fixed the same problem for me.

LJ

Confirming I was having the same issue, and this branch fixed the issue.

Would this fix be related to resolving my problem of my log constantly blowing up with the following?

Warning in dnsmasq core:
no address range available for DHCPv6 request via wlan0

PiHole points me to your documentation which does not cover the above warning. I've been trying to figure this out for weeks and I'm absolutely dumbfounded and frustrated by it.

I've had a similar experience as OP: I've been using PiHole for about a year for site-blocking and DNS capabilities, has been buttery smooth for me until the past few weeks when a pihole -up started spiking my logs with this same redundant error until my DNS server eventually crashes, the dashboard flips to showing NaN everywhere, and I'm required reboot the device.

If the issue I'm describing sounds like it does not overlap with the OP's issue, I'll open a new topic.

Thanks in advance!

Also, I'm new here and not very familiar with what this command is doing, I'm assuming it's putting me onto an unstable branch for testing, but I can't find any instructions on how to go back to the stable branch after doing so.

Can you or someone please provide the command to reverse it?

pihole checkout ftl master

1 Like

@bdrelling What you are describing is an altogether different issue and comes from the embedded dnsmasq

It does, almost at the bottom of the page:

Got it, thank you for the link. I looked at every single one of these that seemed similar and thought mine was specific to wlan0. I've previously tried going through every topic I can find related to no address range and DHCPv6 and nothing has resolved my problem. This issue came out of nowhere a few weeks ago after a pihole -up and my DNS seems to crash every few days, and I haven't changed my configuration in any way since I set the whole thing up.

I'll open up a new topic of course, wasn't intending to hijack this one, I just don't even know how to describe what's going on and the logs and data are getting cleared when it happens, so I don't have anything to go off of.

Is it possible to downgrade my pihole version easily, or do I need to export my data, re-install, and import my data again? I'd like to downgrade and start working through the versions to sanity test if something happened on my network or if there was a change in pihole that's caused this so I can provide better information to your team.

Thanks again.

Just signed up, been lurking off and on for a while.

Relaying this was the silver bullet to my issue today. Decided to manually update today, instead of the monthly auto update tomorrow night. Tie in my Mikrotik forcing DNS (best it and my understanding can) to the PiHole, this was a fun trip and learning experience to say the least, lol.

I don't have IPv6 running on my home network. Had too many bugs, not enough devices to concern myself over, on top of other life and tech stuff, lol.

Don't do this. We strongly recommend that you read the release notes prior to manually updating your Pi-hole installation. Some updates are breaking, and sooner or later you are going to wake up to a broken Pi-hole and no backup.