FTL eats up resources on Ubuntu and crashes every 24 hours (at least)

Hi all,
I've been dealing with and digging this every day for almost two weeks now, thoroughly reading every relevant post here and on Reddit. I think it's time I get valuable insights from the awesome community here.

PS: a little noob, all this (and everything Linux and network) is self-taught, so please bear with me in case I write any nonsense.

Thank you in advance.

Expected Behaviour:

PiHole + Unbound + Wireguard installed on a Ubuntu 18.04 VPS (2GB RAM), up and running, so I can connect all my devices and get VPN + ad-blocking on the go. Apart from Syncthing, no other software runs on the VPS, to keep things as light as possible.

Actual Behaviour:

TL;DR:
pihole-ftl takes up too much resources and makes the system freeze/crash. The only way out is a forced reboot.

Details
After everything worked fine for a few days:

1. I started getting totally disconnected and losing SSH access every one and then. I can only reboot through the web access via my VPS provider.

2. FTL-DNS is disabled after each reboot, and I have to sudo service pihole-FTL restart every time before I can get it on its feet.

3. No information in pihole.log and pihole-ftl.log. Finally got a hint in system logs: I was getting a Received SIGRTMIN+24 from PID *** (kill) everytime before the system shutdown. Reading here and there I've learnt that this happens when a process is taking too much resources (CPU? memory?) and kind of force the system to freeze / shut down because of that.

4. This was happening at least once every 24 hours. I've rebooted the system 3 or 4 days ago without restarting pihole-ftl, and it has been up since then. But now, sudo service pihole-FTL restart is totally ineffective and DNS doesn't start anymore.

5. I have two Raspberry Pis at home (a Pi2 and a Pi3B) with 1.5 million blocklist size (far more than on the VPS) but never been down in 1+ year, so I ruled this out as a possible cause.

6. Name resolution has also been acting weird, I often have to replace 127.0.0.1 by 9.9.9.9 in /etc/resolv.conf before getting it working. I don't know if/how it is linked to the pihole-ftl issue.

Sorry for the long read.

Debug Token:

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/lvdxflyopq

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.