FTL after update Offline

Each time after updating pi-hole(pihole -up) FTL is offline...
is there an possibility that this can be changed?

Because I want to be up to date with pi-hole!

My RPI searches for an update of the pi-hole all 6 houers, if there was an update,
i had then to go log on to my RPI and type pihole -r to Fix this Problem...

is there any better Solution?

That should not happen and it did not happen to me so far.

Would sudo service pihole-FTL restart work here as well?

Do you really mean like each time, i.e. even if there is no update available?

I just verified the following on my Raspberry Pi B:

1. There is an update for FTL available: The new version of FTL is first downloaded, then the running pihole-FTL process is stopped, replaced and restarted. Worked w/o problems.
  2. There is no update for FTL available: Nothing is happening (i.e. FTL is also not stopped).

i'll try it again right now
if there was an update :thinking: i don't really know it stopped over night
i'll sure try it with sudo service pihole-FTL restart :wink: is this already in the dev integrated?
i have an raspberry pi 3 model b but that should not really matter then what jessy are you on to?

okay over this night it turned FTL offline again ( all the graphs also changed to default :worried:

Could you help me with debugging your case? I wrote down detailed instructions on how to debug FTL here:

i did exactly what you described there it is working now (i think so)
in the terminal at the moment is just running down new thread some numbers and then thread same numbers ant then exited s that right?
[New Thread 0x75d1c460 (LWP 20376)]
[Thread 0x75d1c460 (LWP 20376) exited]
can i just exit the terminal here now?

That is correct, it means that it is working for you now. You can use Ctrl+A (press together, nothing will happen) and then D (you will detach the screen session). Afterwards, you can exit as usual and come back to the debugger using screen -r

ah okay so but i'll try to let the FTL crash (or nor restart as it should)
it will take about 10 or 20 min

i just ran an update and i can't get on tho the interface now :cry:
::: Starting lighttpd service...
this part of the update had extremely long and then outputted done.
but it still doesn't work it loads up the page now but i can't log in its like frozen
(i tried pihole -r didn't help)

never mind!!! someone had to be funny and plug my pi into an other network :triumph:
iht interface is working but the FTL to haha i'll contact you again if it didn't work okay

it would be really cool tho to restart the FTL over the web interface just a button that would be really really great haha
@DL6ER

That's more of a band-aid fix to solve the symptoms instead of curing the problem and making sure that FTL doesn't fall over in the first place. And the curative approach is being worked on now to prevent the need to have to restart the engine in the first place.

1 Like

In the end we may or not add the button, but I fully agree with what @DanSchaper said - it strongly increases the likeliness that users get used to click it once a day if they see problems. Currently, it is just not very convenient to restart FTL so people come and ask. We can then ask why they would need this button and eventually fix the underlying issue, so that they don't need the Restart button at all. I think this is a much better path to follow.

2 Likes

it is time again that the FTL failed
i don't know whtn it faild exactly but it should be in the last 4 days
here is the debug log after i just repaired my pi (pihole -r)
9ptb52m2lt

As the problem seems to happen again and again for some users..

here is how to solve this problem quickly:

• you can run pihole -r and then hit repair

• You can also use sudo service pihole-FTL restart

so this always helped me if you have more awnsers/questions hit us up!
:originberry:

1 Like

@kint

Are you still seeing crashes with the latest version of FTL?

sometime it crashes yes but i have to space up some time so i can get you an debug token and the crash itself ^^
I'll contact you here again if i have the issue okay

A post was split to a new topic: FTL not running