Fresh docker container (latest image) results in web UI displaying: [ERROR] File not found: /etc/pihole/setupVars.conf

Pre-work

• downloaded latest docker image today (10:15am, December 11th, GMT)
  • created container in NAT Bridge mode, ServerIP env variable set, mounted external pihole volume (emptied it prior)
  • launched container and started /bin/bash via docker inside the container
  • changed timzone by "dpkg-reconfigure tzdata" to GMT
  • removed web UI password by "pihole -a -p"

Please note that this ticket contians a first fix, but runninng the update destroyes the working container - recreationg necessary.

Expected Behaviour:

After initial setup of docker container and pihole running, web UI should be accessible

Actual Behaviour:

Opening the http://PIHOLE_IP results in the display of " [ERROR] File not found: /etc/pihole/setupVars.conf"

Debug Token:

gt4kj48li4

2nd step - fixing issue

I changed the permissions of "/etc/pihole" by runnning "chown -R www-data:www-data /etc/pihole".
Then the web UI is accessible.

• Web UI shows that Pihole update is available. Running update in step 3, resulting in more issues.

3rd step - updating pihole - NEW issue

After ensuring that step 2 helped, I opened the docker terminal "/bin/bash" and ran "pihole updatePihole"

Expected behaviour

Web UI accessible and pihole working.

Actual behaviour

Web UI is accessible, but shows "Lost connection to API"
during update pihole showed "DNS service" not running.
restarting the container ended in container NOT starting, but displaying "/root/ph_install.sh: line 34: setupVars: readonly variable"
-> need to reinstall container, which ended up in step 1, showing that there is an update available.

Debug Token

gt4kj48li4
(before restarting the container)

Thanks for your help, regards,
Andre

Edit: I uploaded a debug log after 1st step and after the 3rd step. I hope you got both, not only the last one...

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.