Firefox bypassing Pi-Hole even after setting Firefox network.trr.mode to "5"

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

Expected Behaviour:

I knew Firefox browser was implementing DOH, but from all discussions it would be a simple task of disabling DOH via the network.trr.mode settings, so I set those to "5" (OFF)

Actual Behaviour:

Firefox still pulls all sorts of ads that do not show up in the PiHole query logs. I do a IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS in a command box, and that works for just a minute or two.

I understand there is an upstream Canary resolver that Firefox is using, should I do something with that address? This is pretty much defeating the ad blocking that my PiHole used to do when using Firefox/Waterfox.

No. This is already handled with Pi-hole, but it is only effective if the DoH setting in Firefox is enabled by default. If you have toggled it off and then back on, the canary domain will have no effect, since you have made a deliberate decision to use DoH.

After you have eliminated DoH as a problem, ensure the host OS running on that client is using Pi-hole (and only Pi-hole for DNS):

No joy to date. My Pi-Hole is my entire home network's DNS server, and since Day 1 of Pi-Hole installation here has always been set as such via my router's DNS settings. It's only been since Firefox (and perhaps Waterfox) went to DoH that I've seen this problem. Disabling it in the browser settings itself has not stopped Firefox from circumventing the PiHole. I understand that Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge will also being using DoH in the not-so-distant future? My Pi-Holes query log shows that it is blocking some locations, but Firefox appears to be letting GoogleAdSense traffic through.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.