Feature Request Internal DNS resolution

Hello,
Great project. I just came in on this, this is the best use of one of my spare pis since the pi 1! (I'm cerrently running it on pi 1 as well.) there is a performance hit for me when pulling logs but I am not bothered by that :slight_smile:

I have a feature request that I think many will find potentially useful.
On my current router I am able to setup internal DNS names to my local servers. For example 192.168.0.245 is a webserver I have and in my browser I can type webserver.local and the DNS resolves it to the 192.168.0.245. However Since using pihole, I pointed the router to use the pihole as DNS. Now I can't do internal DNS resolution because offloading the DNS funtion of my router to the pihole it disables ALL resolution on my router making the table I have obsolete.

I have found this article that helps me resetup my internal DNS resolution to webserver.local
https://paranoidix.dk/2016/05/08/dnsmasq-and-pi-hole/
This works and it is currently using DNSmasq which is the same as this program.
I was thinking you could integrate this pretty much into the interface have a section either in the main list on the left or it could be listed under "tools" as well.
Where you could have a box for DNS and a box for the ip it resolves to. It would have an apply button as well.

keep up the good work. If I can be of a service i can try to help. I could create a mock up maybe of how I think it should work/look. Let me know

Using the table setup on your router should already be possible as many routers can act as an upstream DNS server and I know of many users that use this configuration with great success.

1. Configure your Pi-hole to use your router as upstream server (use the custom fields)
  2. Go to the settings page and untick the options never forward non-FQDNs and never forward reverse lookups for private IP ranges under Advanced DNS settings and click on [Save].

If you already decided to configure your static leases on the Pi itself, it makes some sense to also let the Pi-hole handle your network-wide DHCP service. You will be able to setup static configurations after enabling the Pi-hole DHCP server. Note that, of course, the DHCP server of the router has to be didabled in this case.

Thanks for this
I will try this however I am going to wait a bit for the DHCP as I just found this app and would like to see the stability of it because I live with 5 other people and if I setup DHCP or DNS that is not relable they would not be happy. haha they're already slighty annoyed that I do all this stuff plus home automation :stuck_out_tongue: I try to convince them its for their own good, faster internet and less BS doesn't seem to work

The stability of Pi-hole only depends on the used hardware (mainly the SD card and the power supply if you run on Pi hardware). We have lots of user that deployed Pi-hole in an enterprise environment (including me) and we haven't heard of problems regarding stability.

From my personal experience, I can tell you that you can easily run > 50 clients with a low-power, almost five years old Raspberry Pi B (one of the first generation) as long as you have a proper power supply (and good quality SD card).
For improved failure safety, I use two distinct Pis in parallel (both are configured as DNS servers at the clients via DHCP). However, in more than half a year, that fail-safety never went into action. However, it makes me sleep better when I'm on a business trip or on vacation.

Go slow on them. And accept from time to time that even things that look cool and are fancy, might cost you some privacy and some people (including me :wink: ) don't like that.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Local domain persistance in Docker Pi-hole

I run pihole in a docker on unraid and also a backup on a pi2b. Both point to my router for upstream. Router/pfsense is doing recursive. Performance and reliability have been rock solid and amazingly fast.

Implemented in v5.0 with "Local DNS Records".