Fatal: No names found, cannot describe anything (false update notification)

Installed pihole fresh 2 hours ago
getting the message fatal: No names found, cannot describe anything. (twice, every 10 minutes (cron).

pi@raspberrypi:/etc/.pihole $ pihole updatechecker local
fatal: No names found, cannot describe anything.
fatal: No names found, cannot describe anything.

discourse search points me to this topic and solution, but unfortunately doesn't work, and topic is already closed, thus a new topic...

edit
pihole -r doesn't fix this
/edit

edit2
reinstalled everything from scratch (fresh OS - Raspbian latest version) --> same problem
generated debug log, there are no errors in the log
tried to upload the debug log:

[✗]  There was an error uploading your debug log.
   * Please try again or contact the Pi-hole team for assistance.
   * A local copy of the debug log can be found at: /var/log/pihole_debug-sanitized.log

/edit2

edit3

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ pihole -v
  Pi-hole version is Untagged (Latest: v4.2.2)
  AdminLTE version is Untagged (Latest: v4.2)
  FTL version is v4.2.3 (Latest: v4.2.3)

/edit3

What's the output of
sudo bash -x /etc/.pihole/advanced/Scripts/updatecheck.sh local

(you can remove the hash for the password if any, as it's not relevant)

It's just a cosmetic error, there's nothing to fix or to change. You have the latest version, the latest commit to master in the repositories is untagged. We will fix this with the next release.

There was an open pull request by a user contributing a bugfix for this. Unfortunately, they didn't base their PR on the right branch so we asked them to resubmit their patch. This didn't happen.

I did it now for them. A bugfix for this issue is open for review:

2 Likes

A solution is available on reddit.

cd /etc/.pihole
sudo git fetch --unshallow
cd /var/www/html/admin
sudo git fetch --unshallow

than run pihole updatechecker local

refresh the pihole admin page, the update notification did disappear on my system.
if you disabled the pihole cronjob pihole updatechecker local that runs every 10 minutes, enable it again.

If it doesn't work, there is a possible other solution described in the reddit article.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.