Fatal failed to fork

**The issue I am facing:**ftl wont update on arm5 w/deb buster

**Details about my system:**arm5

Supporting precompiled pihole-FTL binaries for ARMv4, ARMv5 and ARMv8 was only recently added with FTL v5.3.

Before that, you would have been required to compile pihole-FTL for armv5 yourself (it still could be for more exotic specimen).

If you compiled pihole-FTL yourself, upgrading FTL could result in failure.

thanks. not compiled by me but did work in Jan

Please upload a debug log and post just the token that is generated after the log is uploaded by running the following command from the Pi-hole host terminal:

pihole -d

or do it through the Web interface:

Tools > Generate Debug Log

[quote="Bucking_Horn, post:2, topic:45580"]
pihole-FTL

zfy7ltmjad

is what you're saying don't worry about ftl ver as long as its >= 5.3?
or is this a debian issue?

Could you provide the output for your pihole -up?
We wouldn't need the logo and introductory stuff. A good few lines before the failure should suffice.

Your debug log contains no direct hints at an updating problem.

Maybe not related, but our log shows there has been a port conflict only recently.

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Pi-hole diagnosis messages
  id  timestamp            type            message
  --  -------------------  --------------  ------------------------------------------------------------
  1   2021-03-20 09:10:50  DNSMASQ_CONFIG  failed to create listening socket for port 53: Address alrea

Are you running any additional DNS servers on your Pi-hole machine?

Your debug log also shows that your IPv6 address isn't currently valid:

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Networking
[✓] IPv6 address(es) bound to the eth0 interface:
   fe80::<redacted>:e953 does not match the IP found in /etc/pihole/setupVars.conf

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Name resolution (IPv6) using a random blocked domain and a known ad-serving domain
[✓] www.youngandcursed.com is :: via localhost (::1)
[✗] Failed to resolve www.youngandcursed.com via Pi-hole (fdd8:<redacted>:e1dc)
[✗] Failed to resolve doubleclick.com via a remote, public DNS server (2001:4860:4860::8888)

Your eth0 interface is currently carrying only a link-local adress for IPv6, i.e. your router isn't distributing a ULA prefix.

An invalid IPv6 address may slow down resolution for clients, and it may encourage IPv6 clients to by-pass Pi-hole via an alternate IPv6 DNS server.

1 Like

thanks. i have ipv6 disabled on the router iirc but will work on the issues you point out. the error above resulted from me typing pihole-ftl at a prompt - oops!

pihole -up=[✗] Update local cache of available packages
  Error: Unable to update package cache. Please try "apt-get update"
  Unable to complete update, please contact Pi-hole Support
root@pifence:~# date Sat Mar 20 09:57:56 MST 2021

of course i have been looking everywhere for the solution, and ran apt update && upgrade...and many other things...
fatal: unable to fork is something i see frequently as well

My initial answer was just tyring to preclude any difficulties from you having compiled FTL yourself before.

This is indeed your OS reporting that it's unable to update packages.

I'm afraid you have to tackle this at OS level.

i suspected as much thanks and its an ongoing struggle! keep up the good work!

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.