Failed installed Unbound

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

using nginx and follow the instruction for recursive DNS server setup only to fail at the end of the installation.

Expected Behaviour:

Complete opertional working unbound
-operating system: Rasiberry Pi
-hardware: Rasiberry Pi 4b

Actual Behaviour:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt install unbound
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
unbound
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 671 kB of archives.
After this operation, 3,637 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://mirrors.pidginhost.com/raspbian/raspbian buster/main armhf unbound armhf 1.9.0-2+deb10u2 [671 kB]
Fetched 671 kB in 3s (218 kB/s)
Selecting previously unselected package unbound.
(Reading database ... 159767 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../unbound_1.9.0-2+deb10u2_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking unbound (1.9.0-2+deb10u2) ...
Setting up unbound (1.9.0-2+deb10u2) ...
Job for unbound.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status unbound.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
Job for unbound.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status unbound.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
invoke-rc.d: initscript unbound, action "restart" failed.
โ— unbound.service - Unbound DNS server
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/unbound.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: activating (auto-restart) (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2021-09-21 18:53:51 AEST; 26ms ago
Docs: man:unbound(8)
Process: 17491 ExecStartPre=/usr/lib/unbound/package-helper chroot_setup (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Process: 17500 ExecStartPre=/usr/lib/unbound/package-helper root_trust_anchor_update (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Process: 17503 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/unbound -d $DAEMON_OPTS (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Main PID: 17503 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Processing triggers for man-db (2.8.5-2) ...
Processing triggers for systemd (241-7~deb10u8+rpi1) ...
pi@raspberrypi:~ $

Debug Token:

[โœ“] Your debug token is: https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/obF96IQa/

By default Unbound uses port 53, the same port is already being used by pihole-FTL.
You can change the port for Unbound in its configuration file, for example

interface: 127.0.0.1@8153

Documentation for interface

Unbound likely installed properly, but cannot bind to port 53 since pihole-FTL is on port 53.

Our guide provides configuration parameters that will set up unbound to work properly alongside Pi-hole.

https://docs.pi-hole.net/guides/dns/unbound/

It out to be a mess in the first place, so I started from scratch again and it now working properly, only this time my browser failed to do a proper backup of pi-hole settings, any chance I can get a copy of the log file that was up load to the git site which has the part of the pi-hole regex blocks.

I PM'd it to you.

1 Like

Thank you for trying but most of the regex is truncated, is it possible just to upload the logfile to my account as a attachment or email it my gmail account.

How did you determine that the backup failed? Do you have the backup archive file?

I did create the backup, like many before, but the brave browser is giving me trouble in saving any download files and I keep forgetting the browser issue of not saving any files, they simple evaporate into nothing. General I do all backups or downloads in Firefox with no issue, all these issue was caused with impatiences on my behave, all over unbound issue to start with..

pm me your gmail account name

Summary

This text will be hidden

Click on his avatar image and then on "Message".

That is all I, as a user see anyway. I did find the backup file after all on the time machine, however the backup didn't restore correctly given all the setting are in tact, hence I have a feeling that the restore process had trouble with large regex filters and simply drop them as the small regex filter went through fine.

You should by now. New users (trust level 0) are not allowed to send private messages. You reached trust level 1 now, which should allow DMs.

Thank you for the feedback, I was just follow the other mode and developer request.

Thank you for the feedback, I was just follow the other mode and developer request.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.