Error in /var/log/pihole_updateGravity.log

Of course - otherwise I wouldn't have invested time to track this down :slight_smile:

I'm just not the one to decide if this is a user-generated issue or a bug. But you provided already a good hint/workaround/solution the devs can look into.

33 3 * * 7 root PATH="$PATH:/usr/local/bin/:/usr/sbin/" pihole updateGravity >/var/log/pihole_updateGravity.log || cat /var/log/pihole_updateGravity.log

Thank you for acknowledging the problem.

I have removed all my changes and added your modification to the pihole cron job, and a temporary echo command to the script, to ensure / verify the script (run with cron) is actually executing the service section again.

Test successful, will this be in pihole 5.1.2?

Any idea why the script chooses the service option? yubiuser has examined the code, apparently pidof pihole-FTL fails, what I do not understand, since it was in use and responsive during the updateGravity process.

Thank you for your time and effort.

Really, I'm not ack'ing or nack'ing anything. I was merely providing an option that would not carry the dangers of symlinking the init system controler from a protected /sbin to the world's /usr/local/bin.

I don't know, we'd need to know if this affects more than this presented case. And we'd need to know if this is a fix or a bandaid covering something deeper that needs to be resolved.

Not offhand, I don't have any environment to try to duplicate the issue.

I'm not clear on what the web interface screenshot is in reference to, can you explain what that was meant to show?

I hope my comments and tests, as well as the second user, who has noticed the problem, are sufficient indications, something is wrong.
A simple test, a bash script with echo "${PATH}" > /home/pi/result.txt, executed by a cron job, will clearly show /usr/sbin is not in the PATH, at least, not on the latest Raspberry Pi OS (32-bit) Lite ( Release date: 2020-05-27), which makes the service command fail. In my opinion, a normal user will probably not notice the new entries in gravity aren't in use.

The screenshot is just there to show the pi, and thus the script, executed by cron, is using pihole-FTL as a resolver.

edit
why did I finally go for the symbolic link solution? To avoid the change being undone by pihole -up OR pihole -r
/edit

I looked through this discussion, but I wonder have you ever tried calling the cron command directly ?

PATH="/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin/" pihole updateGravity

without any service symlink or something else.

Does this work for you?
I just tested this on a Ubuntu 20.04 VM (nothing else within reach right now) and there it certainly works.

As I already indicated, I've removed all changes from my system and use the solution, proposed by Dan Schaper, that works.

Your suggestion also works, pihole-FTL restarts, sudo service pihole-FTL status indicates an active status of 20 sec (command executed immediately after updategravity has completed.

I don't see the point of this test. My assumption, confirmed by some tests, is that cron has a hardcoded path, /usr/sbin is NOT included, which makes the service command fail.
There are several methods, suggested in this topic, to overcome that, I used the symbolic link to avoid conflicts with pihole -up and pihole -r, but what is really needed is a code change, either the cron job, suggested by Dan Schaper, OR using the $(which service) solution in the script.

I really don't care what solution is finally chosen, I am however convinced users aren't aware they are affected by this problem, thus never applying their weekly gravity update (pihole-FTL doesn't restart, reload, or whatever).

My problem is (temporary) solved, my pihole customization scripts are handling the problem, the only question I have is why my system is always restarting, using service (as explained above, pidof pihole-FTL doesn't produce a proper result)

I'm just trying to identify what is different on systems that don't work. The more help I can get with this, the better. If someone can tell me how to break my system accordingly, I will do this as well :slight_smile:

The point is that my command overwrites PATH. As you have seen, there is no /usr/sbin included anymore. Yet it succeds. I'm just looking for the reason why I (and apparently many else) are not seeing an issue here and others are.

I definitely know that FTL is restarted once a week for me because I'm monitoring my development system very well to catch potential issues.

What I'm concerned about is that the description of this seems to be fairly new (it is not that it has never worked) even though this file has not changed in 2+ years.

Hmm, are you getting exactly one PID? Or maybe multiple? There is an issue with killall as well as kill + pidof in case pidof returns multiple PIDs. It is possible for FTL to have multiple PIDs at the same time (TCP workers, script helpers, ...) so this is something we should look into.

I tested this, this afternoon, and just now again, I get a single pid as reply.

Something I've asked before, but was never answered: sudo service -pihole-FTL status says:

Active: active (exited) since Mon 2020-07-20 23:19:36 CEST; 20s ago

exited, could this be an indicator of the problem?

Anyway, by simply adding the PATH to service OR using the $(which service) solution, OR adding the PATH in the cron job, the error disappears.

I noticed you omitted /usr/sbin from your command, so I ran the test again, this time with a modified script, adding an echo to the three possible choices there are (kill, killall, service).
when executing your (ubuntu) command, something like:

echo "path: ${PATH}"
	echo "choice: service"

repeated for every option, the script outputs:

path: /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin
choice: killall

no problem here, first of all, killall is used, secondly the path is NOT wat is specified on the commandline.

No. this is a long standing init.d issue. FTL forks during startup to become independent of the starting terminal. init.d interprets this as the process exited. systemd solves this more elegantly by actually looking for the process.

I was almost afraid something like this will happen. Will check more when back from work today.

Came here after reading @jpgpi250 's post on another forum and have the same issue.
Installation: have been upgrading pi-hole from 4.x.x to 5.0 beta to 5.0 to 5.0 dev to 5.1 to current dev on Raspbian Lite on a Pi Zero.

I saw that @jpgpi250 mentioned a 'fix' by @DanSchaper, would that be this:
33 3 * * 7 root PATH="$PATH:/usr/local/bin/:/usr/sbin/" pihole updateGravity >/var/log/pihole_updateGravity.log || cat /var/log/pihole_updateGravity.log
(so should this be added to the cron jobs?)

Currently, I've run

sudo ln -s /usr/sbin/service /usr/local/bin/service

and did pihole -up, the same error popped up in the log file.

Thank you for reporting the problem. Did you notice the problem yourself (daily use), or only after checking /var/log/pihole_updateGravity.log , as I indicated?

The file /etc/cron.d/pihole contains a line (job) with the following content (time may be different):

59 1    * * 7   root    PATH="$PATH:/usr/local/bin/" pihole updateGravity >/var/log/pihole_updateGravity.log || cat /var/log/pihole_updateGravity.log

you should edit this line to include the required path e.g.:

59 1    * * 7   root    PATH="$PATH:/usr/local/bin/:/usr/sbin/" pihole updateGravity >/var/log/pihole_updateGravity.log || cat /var/log/pihole_updateGravity.log

WARNING. pihole -up and pihole -r and pihole checkout (if core is included) will undo this change, so you need to reapply the fix after executing one of these commands.

1 Like

Didn't notice the problem, just saw the error after checking the log as you indicated.

Thanks for the clarification!

Don't forget to remove the symbolic link you created in /usr/local/bin (if it still exists).

Strange that this solution doesn't work, it worked for me. I chose that solution, because I assumed pihole -up wouldn't affect this (e.g. permanent), but apparently that is also a false assumption.

I just applied the fix. Rebooted my Raspberry pi, applied a pihole -g and the same error is in my logfile:

[i] Cleaning up stray matter...^M^[[K [✓] Cleaning up stray matter
[✗] /usr/local/bin/pihole: line 129: service: command not found

[✓] DNS service is running
[✓] Pi-hole blocking is Enabled

(edit) removed the symlink before i applied the suggested fiks

the log file is only created, when the job is run with cron, it isn't created / updated when running pihole -g. Look at the file date, it will not match the time you ran pihole -g

ls -l /var/log/pihole_updateGravity.log

oh, Shoot. My mistake. You are so right

This discussion is already somewhat lengthy. Did anyone come to a conclusion why service is used for some? Did anyone add echo for the returned data by pidof and others used to determine which way to go?

just done this now, added this:

/opt/pihole/gravity.sh

…
  fi

FTL_pid=$(pidof ${resolver})
	echo "FTL pid (/opt/pihole/gravity.sh): ${FTL_pid}"

# Only restart DNS service if offline
  if ! pidof ${resolver} &> /dev/null; then
    "${PIHOLE_COMMAND}" restartdns
    dnsWasOffline=true
  fi
…

and /usr/local/bin/pihole

…
restartDNS() {
  local svcOption svc str output status
  svcOption="${1:-restart}"
	FTL_pid=$(pidof ${resolver})
	echo "FTL pid (/usr/local/bin/pihole): ${FTL_pid}"
  # Determine if we should reload or restart
…

duplicated the original cron job (NOT adding /usr/sbin)

output (in /var/log/pihole_updateGravity.log):

e[K  [✓] Swapping databases
  [i] Number of gravity domains: 2180753 (1573487 unique domains)
  [i] Number of exact blacklisted domains: 0
  [i] Number of regex blacklist filters: 34
  [i] Number of exact whitelisted domains: 44
  [i] Number of regex whitelist filters: 2
FTL pid (/usr/local/bin/pihole): 18055
path: /usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/bin/
choice: killall
  [i] Cleaning up stray matter...
e[K  [✓] Cleaning up stray matter
FTL pid (/opt/pihole/gravity.sh): 
FTL pid (/usr/local/bin/pihole): 
path: /usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/bin/
choice: service
  [✗] /usr/local/bin/pihole: line 136: service: command not found

[✓] DNS service is running

There are 3 relevant echos

• The first one finds the pid
  • The next two don't.

If read a few reports online that in some instances pidof doesn't find the pid of a process.

Try to replace it with pgrep -f and see if it helps.