Error in the PiHole Monitoring Log

I am seeing an error in the PiHole Monitoring Log, seems to be related to status 65621 which is:

Influx row creation with id 2329
Status is invalid 65621 for id 2329
What is status type 65621?

Mu current PiHole Versions:

Above Python script is not part of the original Pi-hole install:

pi@ph5b:~ $ stat /usr/local/bin/Pi-Hole-Monitoring.py
stat: cannot statx '/usr/local/bin/Pi-Hole-Monitoring.py': No such file or directory

Quick search and seems to belong to below (EDIT: or similar fork):

The error could be related to recent database changes:

That github project doesn't allow to create an "issue" so I have no idea how to contact the maintainer(s) for that project to ask for help.

2 Likes

Thanks for reply, the query is reading information from the pihole-FTL.db, and I think maybe there is a new status of 65621 in the DB. So I wondering what that was.

Yes that could very well be.
Old version dbase:

pi@ph5a:~ $ pihole -v
  Pi-hole version is v5.3.1 (Latest: v5.9)
  AdminLTE version is v5.5 (Latest: v5.11)
  FTL version is v5.8.1 (Latest: v5.14)
pi@ph5a:~ $ pihole-FTL sqlite3 /etc/pihole/pihole-FTL.db ".schema queries"
CREATE TABLE queries ( id INTEGER PRIMARY KEY AUTOINCREMENT, timestamp INTEGER NOT NULL, type INTEGER NOT NULL, status INTEGER NOT NULL, domain TEXT NOT NULL, client TEXT NOT NULL, forward TEXT , additional_info TEXT);
CREATE INDEX idx_queries_timestamps ON queries (timestamp);

Latest version (including status):

pi@ph5b:~ $ pihole -v
  Pi-hole version is v5.9 (Latest: v5.9)
  AdminLTE version is v5.11 (Latest: v5.11)
  FTL version is v5.14 (Latest: v5.14)
pi@ph5b:~ $ pihole-FTL sqlite3 /etc/pihole/pihole-FTL.db ".schema queries"
CREATE VIEW queries AS SELECT id, timestamp, type, status, CASE typeof(domain) WHEN 'integer' THEN (SELECT domain FROM domain_by_id d WHERE d.id = q.domain) ELSE domain END domain,CASE typeof(client) WHEN 'integer' THEN (SELECT ip FROM client_by_id c WHERE c.id = q.client) ELSE client END client,CASE typeof(forward) WHEN 'integer' THEN (SELECT forward FROM forward_by_id f WHERE f.id = q.forward) ELSE forward END forward,CASE typeof(additional_info) WHEN 'integer' THEN (SELECT content FROM addinfo_by_id a WHERE a.id = q.additional_info) ELSE additional_info END additional_info, reply_type, reply_time, dnssec FROM query_storage q
/* queries(id,timestamp,type,status,domain,client,forward,additional_info,reply_type,reply_time,dnssec) */;

The error looks related to the Pi-Hole-Monitoring.py script not being able to cope with the recent dbase changes.
Have you also contacted the maintainer(s) for that project?

This may be a new query type being used by Google. Not yet standardized.

Is there anyway to confirm this?

Are you positive this is the exact number you are seeing in your logs?

Yep as an example
4010|1646382050|65621|2|m.youtube.com|192.168.3.148

The DNS RR TYPE field is defined as 2 octets.
The maximum value it can hold is thus 65,535 (see also IANA's RR TYPE docs).
Your 65621 falls out of that range.

In other words: Pi-hole cannot have received that value.

You've removed that from your post, but from the edit history, I see that you are using a custom script:

That would suggest it is your custom Pi-Hole-Monitoring.py that is somehow not handling values correctly when reading them from Pi-hole. This may or may not be related to recent database changes, as deHakkelaar pointed out already.

You'd have to approach the maintainer of the third-party Pi-Hole-Monitoring.py for a fix.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.