DoT with stunnel, but no queries in Dashboard

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

Expected Behaviour:

All queries that come in, are also visible at the Dashboard like normal queries via port 53

Actual Behaviour:

Queries via DoT/stunnel are blocked correctly, but not visible at the Dashboard. All other normal queries are visible.

For some time now i use successfully a pi-hole. All queries are shown at the dashboard. Since some days now, my phone is updated to Android 9. Since there is support for DoT build in, i have tried to setup a proxy with stunnel between pi-hole and the Android 9 phone. Basically it seems to work, but the queries are only visible in /var/log/pihole.log. DNS queries from the pi-hole machine (localhost) like ping www.google.com are visible at the dashboard.

What can i do to see also the queries via DoT?

DoT is not supported by Pi-hole. We have not tested and can't support DoT.

Yes, i know, its not directly supported. My problem is, that i didn't understand why it seems to work and block ads and trackers successfully, but i didn't see the queries. So i should better ask: How or what for queries are displayed at the dashboard and what 's the difference between queries via port 53 and queries via a proxy from port 853 to 53? Both are queries from localhost for pi-hole, the difference is only that 853 is only available as TCP port and 53 as UDP/TCP. If i understand it, maybe i can change it at my side or maybe i could make a fork and pull request. But i don't know where to start.

Update:
I have tried to research a little bit and found only one thing so long:
If there is a entry like "query[A] blockads.fivefilters.org from 127.0.0.1" in /var/log/pihole.log, this query is missing from the dashboard and is also not recorded in pihole-FTL.db. But if the line is: "query[A] blockads.fivefilters.org from 10.8.0.2", it is available in Dashboard and pihole-FTL.db. So it seems that queries from 127.0.0.1 are filtered out. I don't know if there is some reason for this.

Update 2:
After googling around i found Avoid localhost request in stats? · Issue #496 · pi-hole/pi-hole · GitHub. Is this the reason not showing that requests?. If so, than i try to found a way to workaround this. Would be great, if someone could explain it to me, before i start to implement a workaround/patch.

Run pihole -d for a debug token. Have you configured IGNORE_LOCALHOST in /etc/pihole/pihole-FTL.conf?

Sorry I didn't answer your post. I had a lot to do with my Primitivenotes plugin for Roundcube. With the todays update to Pi-Hole 4.2 the problem doesn't exist anymore. Many thanks for the update and Pi-Hole project in general.

Meanwhile I switched from stunnel to a Nginx version. See also my reddit post at https://www.reddit.com/r/pihole/comments/airnkg/using_nginx_as_dot_proxy_for_pihole/

I don't know if this works also with lighttpd, I didn't test it. But I prefer to use Nginx, because I have it installed anyway.

I only want to let you know that it works now the way i want it.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.