Domains lose group assignment if enabled/disabled/modified on Blacklist Management page

Expected Behaviour:

Domains retain Group Assignment when modified via the Blacklist Management page.

Actual Behaviour:

Domains lose Group Assignment if enabled/disabled/modified on Blacklist Management page.

Behavior first noticed:

After 5.11.x update.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Navigate to the Blacklist Management page
  2. Toggle the status of a blacklist entry OR change the comment
  3. Navigate to the Domain Management page under Group Management
  4. Observe that the Group assignment field is now blank (set to "none selected").

Troubleshooting steps taken so far:

1. Removed and re-added all blacklist entries one-by-one via the web interface.
  2. Nuclear - wiped entire partition, re-installed Debian 11 and reconfigured all settings by hand (no Teleporter import)

Versions:

• Pi-Hole: 5.11.4
  • FTL: 5.16.1
  • Web Interface: 5.13

Blacklist Management page - Domain (cdninstagram) enabled and assigned the Default group:
Screenshot from 2022-07-10 18-03-30

Group Management/Domain Management after modifying the comment or enabling/disabling:

I can confirm that behaviour.

The original Blacklist/Whitelist menu entries pre-date Pi-hole's group management, and they have been left merely as a convenience feature, to gently nudge users to get familiar with Pi-hole's (then new) group management feature set.

I'm not at all sure whether your issue should be fixed - it may be be time to retire those menu entries altogether. Of course, that would be up to development to decide.

But in the meantime, you can easily spare yourself the frustration of losing your assignments by using Group Management|Domains exclusively.

1 Like

Confirm the bug as well. Domains edited from Black/Whitelist page loose Group assignment · Issue #2260 · pi-hole/AdminLTE · GitHub

1 Like

Pleas try if

pihole checkout web domain_groups

fixes the issue. You can go back on track anytime and before the next Pi-hole update with pihole checkout web master

2 Likes

The custom branch does not exist anymore as the PR as been merged into development.
If you want to try it yourself, please use

pihole checkout web devel

2 Likes

Awesome, thanks, folks! :grinning:

Edit: You're totally right though, @Bucking_Horn, it got me to finally buckle down and figure out how to use the new(ish) grouping system :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

DO NOT yer remove the blacklist. I use windows hotapot feature (too involved to make it work on Linux) and because it uses a 137 subnet, I'll never be able to see it ib Pi-Holw. So it needs it's own "default" catch-all group.

At OP, 1.2% mem usage? I have a VM with 768mb at about 40-50%. How much would you need for it to be so low?

How much ram do you have to allow 1.2% mem use?

We are not going to remove the default group. We are removing the separate pages for black/whitelists which were designed as a transition from preV5 to V5 Pi-hole. You can access the same configuration via Group management/Domains.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.