Does Android ignore DNS settings?

Hello there!

I just installed pi-hole on my Ubuntu 14.04 server and configured my DHCP server to set DNS1 and DNS2 to the IP of the Ubuntu server. This works flawlessly for my Mac OS X based computers.

However, my Android based phone and tablet both seem to be completely unaffected by pi-hole. While all ads are gone on my Macs, web pages and Apps on my phone and tablet still show ads as if nothing had changed.

Has anyone else experienced this problem as well?

Best regards,
jeronimo

Maybe your android devices are configured to use a different DNS server?

Do you have IPv6 blocking set up on you Pi-hole, and have you set your Android devices to use the IPv6 address for their DNS services?

i have the same behaviour with my nexus 5x running android 7.1.1.
android completely ignores my pihole - although i have specified it as dns1 and dns2 (leaving dns2 empty always displays, greyed out, google's dns)

my home network supports ipv4 and ipv6.

yet i can see no options to change any ipv6 settings of the wlan in android settings. am i missing something here?

I'm having the same problem with my Android 6.0 device, any help would be appreciated.

Android devices ignore any information send via DHCPv6. Do you have the Pi-hole set to handle DHCP or does the router itself handle the IP address assignment?

I'm using a mobile hotspot device. It doesn't have any options to set DNS. Also I haven't set pihole to assign DHCP address, it is assigned by the router itself.
Another question, Is DHCP server in android 6.0 is different from its predecessors?

This issue persists when I tested with OpenDNS also. Here's the network configuration:

Here's the OpenDNS status:

How are you configuring the Android device for the Pi-hole DNS server?

I have pihole installed on Raspberry pi for a long time. I have other Android devices with KitKat version and they work fine. I set pihole IP as the DNS server. It's just the Android 6.0 giving problems

Try to use with this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pepeware.dns.free

I'm using it from yesterday. Anybody else having this issue with Android 6.0

Yep, just tested today on the Bus Hotspot WiFi in UK, and seems this wifi network is bypassing my DNS settings, the same I'm using Pepe DNS Changer but at home everything is fine.

I had ads on Android until I figured out that Chrome routed every webppage through Google servers for compression. Bypassing my own DNS.

An update fixed the problem