Docker inside pihole native

Stupid question, but is it possible to install docker inside a native pihole?
I have pihole running natively on a raspberry pi 4 and I would love to use its' horsepower to do more than just pihole, stuff like lan cache and such.

is it possible?

Pi-hole is a software package. You cannot run Docker in Pi-hole.

If you are referring to running Docker on the Pi 4, the answer is yes, you can do that.

Note that as long as there are no port conflicts, you can run many apps at the same time on bare metal, with no need for Docker containers.

thanks for the reply, let me get this straight, i can install for example lancache on the same pi as the pihole is running on? i didn't mean running the docker inside the pihole interface, i meant a RP that runs the standard raspberry os with pihole not in a container. so i got my terms a bit jumbled.

You can run multiple apps on the same Pi-hole, as long as they don't conflict on ports or other services. I'm not familiar with lancache, so I don't know what ports it uses.

The first link I posted shows the ports used by Pi-hole.

ok, that's great, LanCache is a package that caches certain download sites like steam or updates for Linux and windows, and stores them locally so all the machines in the network only need to download it once.

I need to see if they have a version that runs outside of a docker container, but from what I understand (and please correct me if I misunderstood) I can install docker on the same Raspberry OS that pihole is installed as long as the ports don't conflict.

Correct.

1 Like

thanks for clearing that up have a great day!

Just an update, according to this: https://docs.docker.com/engine/install/debian/ docker only supports 64bit versions of the os, so until that's released I can't get docker installed. will try podman as well.

EDIT: podman also requires 64bit.

I have docker installed just fine on a Pi.

How are you trying to install it?

Use curl https://get.docker.com | sudo sh from Docker official.

I did, but then I try to run it as rootless the problems start. went down the rabbit hole when trying to run dockerd or docker info things went wrong.

so are you just running everything as root?

Running things rootless is an advanced configuration. If you're new to docker then you're going to cause yourself a ton of headache trying to get rootless working.

If you got docker running with the normal engine mode then docker installed correctly.

Edit: You do mean running the daemon rootless right? You don't mean running docker commands as your normal user which just requires your user to be in the docker group.

1 Like

not new to docker, but usually running it on servers with root user.
i added my user to the docker group, and still got permission denied on operations unless i ran sudo.

Did you log out of your shell and log back in again after you added your user to the docker group?

Just a tip, rootless docker means running the daemon as an unpriv'd user. If you do any google searches for running docker rootless then you're going to get information on that and that's going to make quite a mess of things.

1 Like

will try again, and update, thanks!
EDIT: that worked, login out and back in solved it. thanks again!
Question, why does docker require 64bit though on their page?

User group membership in linux doesn't apply until the user logs in again. (Or uses newgrp but that's a temporary solution). So you need to log out and back in again to gain the new group priv's.

That's a good question, I don't know why it says that.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.