DNSMASQ Errors in Logs

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

If you are Experiencing issues with a Pi-hole install that has non-standard elements (e.g you are using nginx instead of lighttpd, or there is some other aspect of your install that is customised) - please use the Community Help category.

Expected Behaviour:

Fresh installed a new Pi-Hole official docker image and fired it up. Followed the setup guide and I can see the container is using 0% CPU / 220 MB of RAM on a system w/ 16 GB and no other containers or services running beyond low level NFS / SMB NAS functions w/ a small webserver and db running but turning those off don't change my experience. I can access the admin UI as expected and login but noticed it's x20 more slow than when this was living on my Raspberry Pi device. No idea why this docker image is mortally slow. I also don't even know if it's actually working as in "doing what it should be doing". How can I test Pi-Hole to make sure it's properly working?

Screenshot of my pihole image being started up:

I believe this problem I'm having is specific to DNSMASQ and my Pihole container config as I followed the this guide: https://kevq.uk/how-to-setup-pi-hole-on-a-synology-nas/

Can someone tell me what I did wrong or what I can do to resolve my issues w/ Pi-Hole on this container?

Actual Behavior:

Admin UI is extremely unresponsive for long periods of time but eventually gets there / no timeouts. The system is under zero load but the UI from what I can tell struggles to do the most basic of tasks an basic iPhone 3 could perform instantly.

Debug Token:

[✓] Your debug token is: https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/0mb2wn70ld

Thanks for your time and support. Appreciate any help!

Post your docker run line or the docker-compose yaml please.

Not exactly sure how to do that. I'm launching Docker from my Synology NAS which I configured using the URL in my initial post which many have followed with no issues.

When I start my Docker image, I double click the container image that I have pre-configured as the URL above suggests and then it starts so the CLI docker run command is transparent to me or at least I'm not sure how to extract it from the admin UI.

You'll need to ask the author of that post then, or I can move this to the Community Support section and see if someone with Synology experience can help.

I'm just curious what specifically in the docker run line would help or narrow down my FATAL errors in the debug log? That error seems pretty specific and I'm assuming that there's a network disconnect between my physical network, the host and the container running on the host IP.

I guess we can move it but I just don't get the errors in the debug, why does the admin page load when I browse to the admin UI...clearly the IP of the Synology NAS / docker host is being translated to Pi-hole as I can hit it and login with my specified pw I set in the initial image config.

I specifically think there's a communication issue with something the Pi-Hole engines are doing behind the scenes that need to talk out or route to another LAN segment. Basically something under the PiHole hood is trying to reach out to some database or something and can't / fails to work as intended.
That's my guess...

The database is local, it's in the /etc/pihole/ folder. So things like volume mounts, filesystem permissions, user running inside the container, user running outside the container and a host of other things need to be known. We don't support Synology as a platform because it's so different in how it runs docker.

Interesting. I wasn't aware it was that different. If I want to learn Docker in a more traditional manner, do you suggest I deploy a base Linux OS and then install docker on top of that and learn that way?

Yes, very much so.

Im learning docker on Arch currently but I'm still interested in what's going on here on my Synology NAS as docker is docker and it should all work the same in terms of client / server communication between docker.

Here is the command and other details about the pihole container I have running which the debug above is based from.

/s6-init

Does that help knowing know the container details and what is in the debug log to understand what is wrong?

I've never used Pi-hole with a bridged IP from the host server. Normally my Pi would have a unique IP running Pi-hole but my Docker server is on my NAS so my NAS IP and my Pi-hole IP are essentially identical and I'm curious if there's an IP conflict or confusion on the LAN. No idea, just grabbing straws here.

Docker is indeed Docker, but Synology abstracts docker away and adds layers on top that make things very difficult to deal with.

Again, ask the creator of the guide what they did and then duplicate it. That screenshot doesn't tell me anything I can use to help troubleshoot. It doesn't look like there are any ports open, and I can't see any volume mounts or the user/permissions used for the volume mounts.

Use something like Debian or Ubuntu, or another OS that is officially supported by Docker.

Thanks for all your help!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.