DNS timeout/failures from windows 10 client after sleeping

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

Expected Behaviour:

• pi-hole works as expected as primary DNS server for windows 10 client.
  • note: pi-hole is working fine for a separate windows 10 client and an android phone with the pi-hole set as the primary and only DNS server; this issue is particular to one windows 10 client on my home LAN.

Actual Behaviour:

• when the windows 10 client sleeps/suspends, after waking, DNS queries fail and internet sites aren't reachable
  • the pi-hole is pingable, the web interface available, and ssh/putty works from the windows 10 client
  • I can ping the default gateway from the windows 10 client and the pi-hole
  • rebooting the pi-hole seems to clear up the issue until the windows 10 client sleeps again

Debug Token:

o4p9aurqru

This sounds like an Windows issue instead of a Pi-hole issue. The windows client sleeping should have no effect on the Pi-hole.

Thanks Mcat12 - I agree, seems to be specific to that machine, however, re-booting the Pi-hole seems to clear up the issue temporarily so I didn't know if anyone had ever seen similar or related issues. I'll try some troubleshooting on the windows machine and report back. But yes, sounds like a windows issue.

Ok, it seems to be resolved now on the windows 10 machine. For others who read this, I uninstalled/reinstalled the NIC driver on windows and unchecked the box in the power management setting tab in order to disallow the system putting the NIC to sleep when the system is sleeping.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.