DNS set up question: Custom IPv4 and IPv6 addresses.

Hello, there I am a new user of pihole and have a few questions. First off how can I direct my devices to use my DNS server that's running on pihole? I followed the instructions from this link Redirecting... but it does not mention an IPv6 upstream DNS server. As per the rest of the setup, I disabled DHCP on my router and I have the DNS server (IPv4) set to the IP address I assigned to pihole.

I set the custom ipv4 address to the address shown on that guide, however, If I have my IP address set as 192.168.1.8 for example for my pihole should that address be the one listed on the guide or the one from my actual IP?

Is there a way to double check that my devices are using my Pihole DNS server?

Lastly, is there any performance tweaks I could set for the unbount script? I am running it on a odroid xu4.

Enter this in Custom 3 (IPv6) on Pi-Hole Admin GUI > Settings > DNS. This is the loopback IPv6 address for unbound.

::1#5353

Your clients should all be directed to use Pi-Hole at the IP assigned to the Pi-Hole on your network, in this case 192.168.1.8.

Pi-Hole, in turn, sends it's upstream DNS server traffic to unbound running on IP 127.0.0.1 on the Pi (the loopback or internal address).

The flowpath should be client > Pi-Hole > unbound > Pi-Hole > client.

The clients are unaware of which upstream DNS server Pi-Hole is using. From their perspective, they communicate only with Pi-Hole and the traffic to unbound is handled by Pi-Hole and is invisible to the clients.

Perfect i will make that edit. If I want to tell my router to make sure it uses the pihole setup for IPv6 DNS do i just add the inet6 (via ifconfig) to the IPv6 DNS server on my router? Once that is set up how can I test to make sure the network are using those DNS servers and not the ISP's.

Yes

Run an nslookup or dig command from a client, and if the server that replies is Pi-Hole then Pi-Hole is handling DNS requests.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.