DNS Service not running

hey folks,

I have just installed pihole on docker as I was having issues with my Pi3 I had been using for a few years. It all went well but the dashboard keeps showing the DNS service as not running. I click the enable button and it comes back but after a few minutes shows as not running again.

Running pihole status in the container shows: [✗] DNS service is NOT listening

The dashboard shows dns requests being received and they appear to be responded to so not sure if the status is correct.
Docker Tag 2022.01
Pi-hole v5.7
FTL v5.12.1
Web Interface v5.9

Any suggestions?

tia

To add to this, I keep getting the warning icon on the top of the dashboard but when I click on it there is nothing in the logs/diagnosis page

Same issue here on latest tag from docker

Edit: Downgrading to docker tag 2021.12.1 fixed it for me.

1 Like

Thanks, will give it a go

tag added to compose file and all is good!

Thank you

1 Like

Sorry, but I am a noob.
How do you do that? I have no clue.

Instead of pihole/pihole or pihole/pihole:latest, use pihole/pihole:2021.12.1 or image: 'pihole/pihole:2021.12.1' if using compose.

1 Like

Many thanks for your help.

Noob#2 here. In trying the just released version, I tried deleting volume/image/container and using the pihole:latest for pull and it appears to be using yesterday's version still. Any help? Using docker

Replace :latest with :2021.12.1 in either your docker run command or docker-compose file

That's what I ended up doing. Was curious why the newest version as of today wasn't coming in as pihole:latest

Thanks

What does your docker run or docker-compose look like? Which pihole image version do you want to use?

You can replace the “:latest” tag with any previous version’s tag, e.g. “:2021.12.1”.

FYI this is an issue with the way the 2022 upgrade handles file changes from the 2021 version. The fix for this is completely nuke the docker image/all images and re-pull :latest