I run pihole in a Docker container on an RPi2 B+.
All has been well for about a week, today when I tried to add blocklists and subsequently update Gravity (all using the web console). I got this message on the screen:
[✗] DNS resolution is currently unavailable
[✗] DNS resolution is not available after pihole gravity update
The "blocked domains" count on the dashboard clearly shows that no blocked domains were added. Contrary to the error messages, DNS resolution for my home network continues to work fine, and some ads continue to be blocked (just under 10%, according to the dashboard).
What I expected to happen instead:
- Domains on Blocklist count in the dashboard go up by some noticeable number
- Possibly, the % blocked requests to up some
I tried a Web search for the error messages I got. I ran across a handful of reports of the same message, but all seemed to be having different problems. I tried:
- change /etc/resolv.conf (on the RPi) so it only points to 127.0.0.1 - this changed nothing
- Removing all the newly added blocklists and re-running gravity update, no luck
- Get a CLI into the docker container to check e.g. its /etc/resolv.conf, but
docker attach piholejust gets me a blinking cursor and SSH doesn't work either. This has meant I can't do e.g.
pihole -gto see if it spits out anything useful on the CLI.
My Debug token is: https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/bk9INPf8/