DNS problems

Your debug log shows your Pi-hole is working without errors and listening on your ethernet connection. However, your router distributes its own IP address as DNS server via DHCP to clients.

dns-server: 192.168.0.1
      dns-server: 192.168.0.1

[✓] IPv4 address(es) bound to the eth0 interface:
   192.168.0.164/24 matches the IP found in /etc/pihole/setupVars.conf

If you change DHCP settings on your router you need to dis/reconnect clients from the network in oder to obtain the new information. Please change them again and post the debug token ( answer yes to upload at the end of the run)

These application might use a hard coded DNS server, bypassing your local router and Pi-hole as DNS servers

i have my dns server set to the rpi in DHCP settings (doesnt block ads when i do this)but in my dns wan settings everytime i switch it to the pi internet stops working again
(i am disconnecting and reconnecting after switching the dns)

edit: spelling
edit2: more info

Please generate a new debug log. And run

nslookup pi.hole from one of your clients

Where do you see ads?

You have publicly posted your debug log. We ask for the token only so that any private information in your log remains private. Only a handful of people on the Pi-hole team have access to your log via the token and it expires in 48 hours.

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/mFIkO5Oj/

i see ads on sites that would have their ads blocked like speedtest.net for example

From a client that you believe should be connected to the Pi-Hole for DNS, from the command prompt or terminal on that client (and not via ssh or Putty to the Pi), what is the output of

nslookup pi.hole

nslookup globalmodels.pl 192.168.0.164

In this forum, it is helpful if you paste the text output directly into a reply.

Please provide the complete outputs of both commands in this way.

server@server-MS-7917:~$ nslookup globalmodels.pl 192.168.0.164
Server:		192.168.0.164
Address:	192.168.0.164#53

Name:	globalmodels.pl
Address: 0.0.0.0
Name:	globalmodels.pl
Address: ::

server@server-MS-7917:~$ nslookup pi.hole
Server:		127.0.0.53
Address:	127.0.0.53#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:	pi.hole
Address: 192.168.0.164

Both those outputs are normal. The first returned the NULL domain (expected, since that domain is on your blocklist), and the second returned the correct IP of Pi-hole.

How are you accessing speedtest.net? If you are using a browser, check that the browser isn't using any private DNS (or DNS over https, etc), which would bypass Pi-hole.

These tools can also help you determine the source of the ads:

I will note that with Pi-hole alone running as an ad blocker, I see no ads on the speedtest.net website.

i have a computer connected via ethernet to my router, i also have pi-hole connected via cable to the same router, when i switch the DNS settings under WAN on my router internet stops working, but when i set the DNS server to pi-hole under the DHCP settings my internet works but ads are not blocked, when i set the DNS to the pi hole locally on that computer while the DHCP dns is set my internet works and ads are blocked but i dont want to have to manually set the dns on every single device i want to do it via the router but its not working correctly

...thats what im trying to do but its not working correctly, i have 2 sepeate dns settings on my router, one is under WAN and the other is under DHCP. i set the DHCP dns server to pihole and it doesnt block ads, if i set the WAN dns server to pi-hole my internet stops working

The steps you describe aren't what needs to be done to make Pi-hole your DHCP server.

ok. what are the correct steps??

As described in the link. Disable DHCP on the router, enable it in Pi-hole and renew the leases on all connected clients.

oh okay i was missing the disable DHCP step thank you!

one more thing, after doing so my network speed is 1/10th of the speed i was getting previously, im expecting 900-1000 mbps while im getting 80-100 mbps on my network, my cables and all devices including the pi (rpi 4 2gb, it also doesnt have any usb connections besides the usb c for power) support 1000 or over mbps?

update, i also cant access the web interface on one of my routers. the ip doesnt show up on the router its connected to or on pi-hole but internet still works/ads get blocked from it

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.