DNS over TLS in Pi-hole 5.0?

Hello together,

Is it possible to activate DNS over TLS in the pihole 5?
If yes how can i do this?

Thanks in advance

No.

You could search the forum for options to use upstream third-party packages, e.g. Implementing DNS-Over-TLS.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply.
Is it planned for the Future?

I Found in my Router the Option to activate DoT. Will this activate DNS request over the pihole with DoT or not?

I do think this is a major hole in the feature set for Pi-Hole which is why I have largely switched to AdGuard.

There is neither privacy nor security to be gained with encrypted DNS. But, there are a number of ways to set this up alongside Pi-hole should you choose to do so.

My ISP only sees (and logs) an IP and not a domain. The number of domains that share a single IP is staggering so it does provide an element of privacy. It also means the domain cannot be spoofed. So yes there is benefit, but as ever, YMMV.

And I have done so, but to not have it as a core feature is, IMHO, a feature hole. On the basis of the response the decision to not include the feature seems to be a philosophical decision (i.e. of no benefit) - the processing overhead is minimal compared with the filtering.

The addition to the code base and the required support from the developers is beyond what can be supported. This is why we provide guides for installing unbound and Cloudflared, each of which can be done in less than 15 minutes. The individual packages installed are written and maintained by others.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.