DNS/ipv6 Issues seem solved Win10 Mikrotik Router

I've had to play around a lot with the router and the Windows machines, but here is my setup and it seems to work. I tired to achieve a system that would continue to work even if the Pi crashes:

RouterOS 6.38.1
IP -> DHCP Server -> Networks -> DNS Servers
172.16.105.2, 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4
IP -> DNS Settings

Repeat DNS Server settings on the actual PCs.
172.16.105.2, 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4

Also disable ipv6 as ADCHOICE still gets through:

Also disable Teredo, run CMD as Administrator
netsh interface teredo set state disabled

I would welcome any comments or further ideas.

Thanks,

Andrew.

Doesnt work like that:

If want redundancy, you can setup two Pi-hole's.

Understood, to be fair at the moment the single one seems to be capturing everything. I might create another instance in one of the Ubuntu machines which are always on but not UPSs.

By the way, are my changes to ipv6 correct? My Router version does not seem to support that protocol as a DHCP service and that seemed to be the change needed to kill ADCHOICES.

Regards,

Andrew.

If you use DHCP to assign IP addresses to the clients, you usually dont need to disable ipv6 on the clients.

I tried that but for some reason it didn't work. The only traffic I saw going out on ipv6 seemed to be adverts and that kind of thing so I thought it may simply be easier to just disable it on all the Windows machines.

Today I am moving Pi-Hole and my Unifi controllers to a Ubuntu box...next I want to build a DNS server to block all websites except for specific domains for the children.

What fun...

Whenever you make changes on the DHCP server, these settings need to propagate to the clients.
You can do that by disconnecting & reconnecting network on the clients or reboot them.

1 Like