DNS ENTRY

Hello all,

I would like to get an advice from the group. I recently installed pi-hole. My question is should I put my pi-hole under the WAN settings of my router, or should I put it under individual VLAN that I have? Also should I have second dns as my VLAN or should I use open dns or google dns?
Thank you.

Normally this is done in the LAN (or VLAN) settings, not in the WAN settings.

No. Pi-hole should be the only DNS available to clients.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the quick response. I’ll search for the answer but any good raspberry pi recommendations for running pi hole? Currently I am running one in Docker, but thinking of switching to a hardware.

Low spec is okay if you don't want to use it for anything else. The requirements are very modest. A cheap 3B or 3B+ or a Zero W would be good if you can get a good price. A Pi 4 is overkill for just Pi-hole but it could be useful for other things too.

At this point in the supply chain recovery process, you may not have a lot of purchase options.

Any Pi will run Pi-hole; it doesn't need to be new and powerful. It also doesn't need to be a Pi - there are other similar SBCs that will do fine. NanoPi, OrangePi, etc. They just need to be able to run a supported OS for Pi-hole.

I currently have a number of Pi-holes running with various Pi's and OS's, and there is no noticeabe DNS performance difference between any of them.

Wired via ethernet - Pi-3B+ (RaspberryPi Bullseye), and NanoPi NEO (Debian Bookworm).

Wireless - Pi Zero2 W, Pi Zero W, Pi-3A+ (all on RaspberryPi Bullseye).

1 Like

Out of interest are they all running Unbound too? Does it work okay on wireless, or does wifi latency stack up with the recursive lookups if it gets loaded?

This might be a silly question, but this is all new to me. What is the benefit of running wired vs wireless? The reason for asking is I have iOT WiFi VLAN and my standard Home WiFi VLAN. In both of those VLAN configurations I put in ip addresses of my wired pi hole. Will pi hole work in this scenario, or I actually need WiFi pi hole for wireless VLANs?

A wired connection is usually more reliable and stable than a wireless connection. Conversely, a wireless connection can be more convenient, allowing a connection from anywhere where you might not be able to run an ethernet cable, or for devices that don't have ethernet such as many iOT devices and smartphones, tablets, etc.

Once you are connected – wired or wirelessly – you are on your network just the same either way. Your Pi-hole and the IP addresses on your network don't care about how you are physically connected. So as long as the devices on your iOT VLAN can reach the IP of your Pi-hole, you're all good.

Pi-hole can be wired or wirelessly connected; all that matters is that it has a fixed IP that is reachable and that its connection is reliable.

Gotcha! Thank you very much for detailed explanation:)

Yes, All running unbound (whatever distro ships with the OS). All with the same configuration file as well.

Does it work okay on wireless, or does wifi latency stack up with the recursive lookups if it gets loaded?

Performance on wireless is indistiguishable from wired. I'm sure there is a difference due to wireless latency, but it's at most a few msec and never noticeable in everyday use.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.