Dns doesnt works without pihole

Hi,

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

If you are Experiencing issues with a Pi-hole install that has non-standard elements (e.g you are using nginx instead of lighttpd, or there is some other aspect of your install that is customised) - please use the Community Help category.

Expected Behaviour:

_[Replace this text with what you think should be happening. Please include as much detail as possible including, but not limited to:
-operating system
ubuntu 18.04
-hardware]
odroid

Actual Behaviour:

When I stop pihole on my ubuntu, I have no more dns on my ubuntu.
It works when I put the dns server in /etc/resolv.conf but it's not permanent.
What can I do ?

Thanks for advance

Don't stop Pi-hole.

3 Likes

So, you installed pi-hole on Ubuntu and pointed the dns entries of Ubuntu to pi-hole and then stopped pi-hole and where wondering why it was not working any longer?

Either don't stop pi-hole or point the dns of Ubuntu to some other dns server.

no, i installed pihole on my odroid, i doesnt touch anything to the dns entries of my odroid.
Now, when i stop pihole on my odroid, the dns resolution doesn't work anymore.
It works when pihole is on.
It works, when pihole is stopped, when I add 1.1.1.1 for example in /etc/resolv.conf, but it's ephemeral...

Pi-hole is a DNS server. If you turn it of then you have no DNS.

Well, I guess your odroid is an DHCP client and does not have a static IP configuration, so It receives the IP and DNS from the DHCP, right ?

In your DHCP Server you configured every client to use Pi-Hole as DNS server, right ?

So when stopping your DNS Server (Pi-Hole) this is what will happen.

As Dan said, DON'T TURN IT OFF. Or configure your network accordingly.

No, no the odroid (the pihole) has a static conf. I have 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 in his conf.

The others clients have as dns server the pihole and of course, on them, when the pihole is stopped, i can't go on the web.

I dont know how to configure the pihole differently.

Well, just as others have said before:
For Pi-hole to be effective, it has to be your local DNS server.
If you stop Pi-hole, DNS resolution will stop.
That's just the way it is.

But I am just restating the obvious.

Maybe we haven't understood your problem yet.
Could you try to explain what you are trying to achieve, and especially why you would want to switch off Pi-hole at all?

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.