DHCP leases show up as <i>unknown</i>

Under Long Term Data -> Query Logs

But as domains, not in the clients column, right? Then, they are not host names as such just some ordinary domains which have been looked up by someone/-thing on the network.

No, clients, otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned it:

I updated to 5.x recently, this is a recent issue as I've unblocked some addresses for Android devices before now.

That "unknown" client is a Samsung Galaxy S10, doesn't show up in the main query log (nor does that block) but it does show as an unknown DHCP lease.

I don't think you are observing the same issue as Scepterus.

Your screenshot shows a hostname in the Client column.
That is proof that your Pi-hole was able to resolve the request's IP address into a hostname like unknown-8a-c8-4d-3e-bb-d1.lan.

What DNS server is providing the names for your local clients?
Could you provide a debug token, please?

The pihole is managing all DNS for me including NAME.lan for local clients.

The affected devices aren't in the building right now but I'll post more info later tonight. How do I provide you with a debug token? Apologies, my first time reaching out to the pihole community, I came across this thread searching for my own issue of not seeing blocks applied to clients (so I can whitelist them) in the main query log.

Please upload a debug log and post just the token generated by

pihole -d

allowing to upload when prompted, or do it through the Web interface:

Tools > Generate Debug Log

Oh nice. https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/1ezw9qh441

Thanks!

Your debug log looks normal, both for DNS and DHCP.

It's somehow paradox that some of your devices registered a name like unknown-8a-c8-4d-3e-bb-d1.lan as their known name.
Specifically if that client is an android device (like your Samsung smartphone), as those tend to create a generic name like android-8569de95893a if you don't provide one on the phone..

Can you take a look at your /etc/pihole/dhcp.leases (don't post it here, it may contain sensitive data).
Are the names in there?

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.