(DHCP) Ability to change .local domain

Love the DCHP ability in Pi-hole, but I was wondering if there could be an option in settings to be able to set your own local domain instead of ".local" by default. I know it can be changed in the dnsmasq settings (which I'm currently doing), but I also know that will be temporary and can get wiped.

The reason I ask is because after switching to Pi-hole DHCP I started noticing a multitude of nonsense requests to a hex-code.local in the log that were not resolving. After a long time troubleshooting this to find out where it's coming from, I realized it's an issue with having a Chromecast. Chromecast uses mDNS which uses the .local domain suffix for discovery and communication by default, and sometimes having LANs with the same search domain can apparently conflict with this. Some places I've read recommend avoiding .local for this particular reason (Bonjour also uses it, but plays more nicely).

So I set it to .lan instead of .local manually in the .conf file, and the issues went away completely.

It would be great if I could be able to permanently set it via the DHCP section on the settings page in the dashboard. Thank you.

Did you check under Advanced DHCP settings?

1 Like

i'm an idiot! this whole time, i thought those options were categorically under the IPV6 checkbox, and only changed under IPV6. thanks. :persevere: