Device connectivity issues with Pihole

Expected Behaviour:

1. When turning on a network-connected device (e.g. TV), it should be able to acquire an IP address and connect to the internet quickly (e.g. within a few seconds).

2. When attempting to connect to a device already turned on and connected to wifi (e.g. camera), I should be able to connect quickly (e.g. within a few seconds).

Actual Behaviour:

1. Devices do not quickly acquire an IP address when turned on, or upon arriving back home with wifi enabled. IP address may not be acquired until Pi-hole is disabled.

2. Users may not be able to access wifi-connected devices at all, until Pi-hole is disabled.

Debug Token:

I can provide this when I get home!

Description:

Running Pi-hole on a 3B+ with Raspbian. Pi-hole is acting as DHCP server. Home network is Google Wifi based. 3B+ is also running OpenVPN via PiVPN.

Items #1 and #2 seem to be inter-related. When I get home from work, it’s like a 50/50 that my phone will automatically register an IP address; often it fails to register an IP address, so I need to connect to my VPN to disable Pi-hole for 30 seconds. Upon doing so, my phone quickly acquires an IP address.

Similarly, when turning on the TV in the morning (a TCL Roku TV), it often fails to register an IP address despite having a wired connection to a Google Wifi access point. Same fix applies - disable Pi-hole for 30 seconds and it registers an IP address within moments.

Finally, I have a Foscam R2 camera that I frequently cannot connect to. The camera is always on. Fix is - again - disabling the Pi-hole. A few seconds after doing so, I can connect as usual.

Any ideas on what might be causing this connectivity issue?

0 Likes

Did you disable the DHCP server on the router? Google Wifi is known to be a little lean on the router settings and customization.

0 Likes

Google Wifi has been set up to only assign one DHCP address, and that one address is reserved for the pihole. Pihole has been set up to assign all other DHCP addresses. Although come to think of it, there’s a small range of addresses that aren’t assigned to either. Maybe that’s the problem.

Currently Google Wifi assigns xxx.xxx.xx.20 to the pihole, while pihole assigns the range of xxx.xxx.xx.21 - .255. That leaves .1 - .19 without anything handling them. Could that be the problem?

0 Likes

This should not be a problem. IP addresses don’t have to be consecutive or fill the entire range.

0 Likes