Ddwrt and pihole settings check

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

Expected Behaviour:

Hi I'm new to pihole so please take time with me. I'm using an old original pi 3b. and a ddwrt router.

I think its setup correctly but would like to check with you guys who have set up this before.
I have added my pi-hole static IP to Local DNS area of ddwrt. not sure if that is correct. Also the Static DNS 1 area.
I'm getting clients connected, and everything seems fine. I have read about disabling No DNS Rebind, is this required?

I noticed without setting Local DNS to pi-hole ip clients still connect, but seems sometimes not all traffic goes through the pi-hole, perhaps its also using either isp or other static dns?

I setup my /etc/hosts file to ip's of static client ips and their hostnames.

Actual Behaviour:

seems to be ok just wanted to check i have everything set correctly. for my sanity :slight_smile: many thanks

Debug Token:

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/7lapjlq5xn!

1 Like

like this?
may i ask why to disable dnsmasq? many thanks

The security you gain from dnsmasq is already baked into pihole. Piholes FTL engine is dnsmasq with a little extra love from the devs here.

TLDR
Dnsmasq can complicate things

1 Like

thank you for that explanation, everything look aokay how i have it setup? ddwrt doing the dchp and pointing to pihole for dns. any idea why i need to add pihole to local dns and static dns?

many thanks

strangly dnsmasq won't stay disabled, even after a reboot? do i also need to disable dnsmasq for dchp for it to disable fully?

This is my setup

Post above has been edited for corrections!

thank you drewski. i have changed a few settings, removed the pi-hole IP from the WAN section, and added a cmd for No DNS Rebind allowing the pi-hole ip. I read through this thread SOLVED: DD-WRT - DNS issue where it was recommended to disable the wan ip, and DNS Rebind Protection in LAN · Issue #292 · pi-hole/pi-hole · GitHub where they talk about dns no rebind.

seems ok to me?

1 Like

If it is working for you with that setup I guess it's fine?

Just note that the extra settings that I have ENABLE DHCP for dnsmasq in additional options.
I have DHCP disabled on the first page. Therefor you are not using dnsmasq's DHCP server

I guess I have a truly unique setup :sunglasses:

You are welcome. Glad to help

thank you for your help, I've been looking at this too long now and my brain has gone fussy lol my settings look similar to yours,

Use DNSMasq for DHCP is enabled
Use DNSMasq for DNS is enabled
Dnsmasq enabled,

im using dhcp via my router and only dns from pihole. i think its setup right. im getting queries from the pihole.log that look ok with all clients connected... localhost has now shown up ha ha.

1 Like

It looks like my build is older or we are using different hardware. I have a broadcom unit.

You are using dhcpd not dnsmasq's dhcp server just to be clear

Hi sorry, excuse me but how can I not be using DHCP dnsmasq when it is enabled, and I couldn't disable it completely? My unit is a r6400 broadcom,running latest Kong build fyi

Or do you mean the Local DNS radio under dnsmasq setting?

I have a r6400 also small world.
Without the fields I entered into dnsmasq additional options dnsmasq will not start the DHCP service. It will fall back to using dhcp.d

Well that's how it is on my older Kong build.
Simply clicking the option does not work.
Also note I have the dhcp.d service disabled on the main page. With the combination of those dnsmasq will start it's DHCP.

DD-WRT Offers options multiple options for DHCP services

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.