Dashboard Not Updating When Not Logged In

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

Expected Behaviour:

Dashboard updating when running as a standalone unit on Raspberry Pi with access via SSH as required

Actual Behaviour:

The dashboard works fine when I am logged in as sudoer or non-sudoer user. When I reboot without logging in the dashboard does not update. When I access over SSH as the non sudoer (and su -u as required to gain sudo privileges), the dashboard still does not update. The dashboard shows DNS is active.

All software is up to date. I have run pihole -r, no improvement.

I have flushed logs (pihole -f) and browser cache.

When I run pihole -t there are no queries showing as processed.

When I run pihole -c, the DNS is confirmed as active.

I noticed that when I run pihole -d, the dashboard temporarily updates but then stops after a few seconds.

I've run out ideas for debugging. Suggestions?

Debug Token:

3zg9yvkdwc

What do you mean by the dashboard updating? Logging in via SSH has no direct effect on the dashboard.

What is the output of this command?

echo ">top-domains (10)" | nc localhost 4711

Hi,

Output as follows:

0 7812 198.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa

1 4102 212.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa

2 230 110.206.58.216.in-addr.arpa

3 225 74.204.58.216.in-addr.arpa

4 127 227.210.58.216.in-addr.arpa

5 122 14.213.58.216.in-addr.arpa

6 120 3.213.58.216.in-addr.arpa

7 120 14.169.217.172.in-addr.arpa

8 120 46.210.58.216.in-addr.arpa

9 120 163.198.58.216.in-addr.arpa

---EOM---

Wrt “What do you mean by the dashboard updating?”, when I am logged in directly to the pi the Total Queries on the Dashboard increase progressively (in the order of hundreds per hour). When I run the unit without any connections and just monitor the dashboard, the Total Queries hardly moves (<5 per hour).

BTW, I just mentioned the SSH connection (using key pairs, not passwords) just for completeness especially as that was the mechanism to acquire the logs I sent. To be clear, the logs are acquired in the “fault” condition, not when logged in directly under which circumstances the Total Queries on the Dashboard increase progressively as noted above.

Regards,

Tony

This electronic message contains information which may be privileged or confidential. The information is intended for use only by the individual(s) or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

Hi,

Just to clarify, as the “fault” condition is reproducible, after raising the ticket I reverted to logging in directly to run some other tests. So I ran the command re top domains when logged in directly to the unit – does that invalidate the result? If you want me to run this in the “fault” condition let me know – if so, would you may want me to clear out logs etc and run for several hours before logging in over SSH and running this report again?

Regards,

Tony

This electronic message contains information which may be privileged or confidential. The information is intended for use only by the individual(s) or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

What do you mean by "dashboard". Are you talking about the web page or the console terminal display?

Check the queries you are getting. Maybe you have some processes that run in the background that trigger DNS queries when you are logged in. There does not seem to be an issue with Pi-hole here, just that your network traffic patterns are not as you expect.

Web page

Regards,

Tony

I found an error I had introduced in UFW and when I corrected for port 53 the data was more consistent with expectations. Ticket can be closed.