Customizing Docker Images

It is confusing to have diverging numbers. Please try to make them stay identical. I can see why you are doing this, but please also have the user's perspective in mind. Diverging versions make things harder. Please consider always updating all three parts.

We always do, but holding parts for the sake of making it look pretty is not smart. You want the fixes from FTL? Well, there's nothing for the admin interface so we'll just hold what you need until something comes along that's worth the version bumps.

Keep in mind that we use semantic versioning so a bugfix release on one may not match a minor release on another.

Semantic versioning is great. For an independent packet or for a bundle of software (as Pi-hole is). However, having it for individual packages that depend on each other is blocking things. Exactly in the same way you mentioned:

This should not stop you to release Pi-hole v5.x.y

If you see this as a blocker, then this is not good. Because it stops a great project from being even better.

There is no "Pi-hole v5.x.y".

There's the core repo, the FTL code and the admin web code. I'm hearing that you want core/FTL/web to all be on the same exact version, and that just won't happen.

I'm sorry to hear this. I'm just wanting to say it would make things easier.

The merits of monorepos/monopackages is a different discussion than the original post question so I'd rather a new thread be started on that topic than discuss it's merits here.

I think my previous post going into details about the service and update-rc.d needing to be linked to /bin/true like docker-pi-hole's install.sh is the answer to the original 'checkout' doesn't work question via docker exec. If not, I'm 100% sure when we build the image from scratch the checkouts work so modifying install.sh and re-building would work.