Cloudflare DNS is duplicated in UI

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

Expected Behaviour:

Queries answered by cloudflare (1.1.1.1) are grouped as one item in web UI (one.one.one.one)

Actual Behaviour:

Queries answered by cloudflare are split into two seemingly identical items

Debug Token:

N/A

Cloudflare's two DNS addresses 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 have the same hostname, which is "one.one.one.one". That's why it seems queries answered by Cloudflare seem to split into two identical items, infact they are not identical.

2 Likes

This is normal. Cloudflare reports their servers this way, and you are using two separate upstream DNS servers. I have one Pi-Hole with a similar setup as you, and here's what appears in the pihole log:

sudo grep 'one.one' /var/log/pihole.log
Nov 10 01:00:01 dnsmasq[5646]: reply 1.0.0.1 is one.one.one.one
Nov 10 01:00:01 dnsmasq[5646]: reply 1.1.1.1 is one.one.one.one

Then after sudo service pihole-FTL restart and reloading the page, it shows this, and then shortly it will go back to the one.one.one.one.

If you want to change how the servers are labeled, put these lines at the end of the Pi hosts file at /etc/hosts, reboot the Pi. When you reload the admin dashboard, the graph starts out showing 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1, but then correctly shows the local mapping you have put in for those DNS servers.

1.1.1.1	    cloudflare-primary
1.0.0.1		cloudflare-secondary

4 Likes

Ah ok that makes sense thanks for the "workaround" :slight_smile:

We had this discussion a few times in the past. It really is a Cloudflare "bug". I contacted their support if this is desired but they never cam back to me (> 1 month ago).

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.