Clients bypass pi hole to DNS2 and if hardcoded to Pi Hole, will not resolve

Token: https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/78xd6jt4dk

Clients bypass pi hole to DNS2 and if hardcoded to Pi Hole, will not resolve

Just started using Pi Hole through docker on Win10 Pro.

Have router pointing at PiHole DNS server, and DNS 2 is 1.1.1.1

If you allow an additional DNS server next to Pi-hole in your router, that additional server will be used to bypass Pi-hole.

If I use Pi Hole as the only DNS server in my router, none of my clients can resolve DNS.

That would indicate a problem with the Pi-hole or it's connectivity to your network.

Can I give you my token? I am new to the Pi Hole world. 78xd6jt4dk

Check your network setup

172.17.0.2/16 does not match the IP found in /etc/pihole/setupVars.conf (https://discourse.pi-hole.net/t/use-ipv6-ula-addresses-for-pi-hole/2127)

IPV4_ADDRESS=192.168.0.21

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Discovering active DHCP servers (takes 10 seconds)
   Scanning all your interfaces for DHCP servers
   Timeout: 10 seconds

DHCP packets received on interface eth0: 0
   DHCP packets received on interface sit0: 0
   DHCP packets received on interface lo: 0

Are you using unbound next to 1.1.1.1?

PIHOLE_DNS_1=127.17.0.1
    PIHOLE_DNS_2=1.1.1.1

You are running Docker, so your debug log is somewhat less conclusive than for bare metal installations. In addition, it won't help in analysing your router's settings, regardless of Docker or bare metal installs.

As you are using Docker, address inconsistencies are to be expected, and may even be safely ignored depending on your chosen Docker network mode.

But you should not use your Pi-hole as upstream DNS for itself:

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Setup variables
    PIHOLE_DNS_1=127.17.0.1

That setting may well be one possible reason for:

Change that setting to a public DNS server and see if that already improves things for you.

1 Like

I changed the DNS to public and I am getting replies in my query log now. The only client that shows on the log is 172.17.0.1. I believe that is Docker. Is there something I need to change with docker? I am thinking about installing ubuntu and trying PiHole with that. Would that be a better option?

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.