Client visible on activity graph

Hi,

is it possible that a wireless device which has no password for my wifi manages to show up on the 24h client activity graph of the Pi-hole dashboard?

Many thanks

Kind regards

I would test against your assumptions. Change the password of your wifi and see if it persists. Only way to rule things out

1 Like

Thanks, I just did, because I saw an unkown device (an Apple smartwatch) in the list . I changed the password and I noticed that after 1 hour the iPhone of my son (with no updated password yet) appeared on the graph. Very interesting. Could somebody explain this?

Thanks

Apple devices can pass the WiFi credentials among themselves. WiFi credentials can be saved in iCloud if so configured.

1 Like

I know , but that was not the case. The iPhone had no updated password for the wifi.

The situation is getting even stranger. I see now the iphone of a friend of my son in the activity and he definetly wasn´t in our home in the last 2 days.

2022-01-15 12:59:03 A c3sqztsvera5dh7p2kpc56alwe.appsync-realtime-api.eu-west-1.amazonaws.com iPhone-von-Theo.lan OK (forwarded to dns.google#53) IP (1078.0ms)
2022-01-15 12:59:03 AAAA c3sqztsvera5dh7p2kpc56alwe.appsync-realtime-api.eu-west-1.amazonaws.com iPhone-von-Theo.lan OK (forwarded to dns.google#53) NODATA (1078.4ms)
2022-01-15 12:59:03 HTTPS c3sqztsvera5dh7p2kpc56alwe.appsync-realtime-api.eu-west-1.amazonaws.com iPhone-von-Theo.lan OK (forwarded to dns.google#53) N/A (0.0ms)
2022-01-15 12:59:03 A c3sqztsvera5dh7p2kpc56alwe.appsync-api.eu-west-1.amazonaws.com iPhone-von-Theo.lan OK (forwarded to dns.google#53) IP (1077.7ms)
2022-01-15 12:59:03 AAAA c3sqztsvera5dh7p2kpc56alwe.appsync-api.eu-west-1.amazonaws.com iPhone-von-Theo.lan OK (forwarded to dns.google#53) NODATA (1077.6ms)
2022-01-15 12:59:03 HTTPS c3sqztsvera5dh7p2kpc56alwe.appsync-api.eu-west-1.amazonaws.com iPhone-von-Theo.lan OK (forwarded to dns.google#53) N/A (0.0ms)
2022-01-15 12:59:03 A c3sqztsvera5dh7p2kpc56alwe.appsync-realtime-api.eu-west-1.amazonaws.com iPhone-von-Theo.lan Retried N/A (0.0ms)
2022-01-15 12:59:03 AAAA c3sqztsvera5dh7p2kpc56alwe.appsync-realtime-api.eu-west-1.amazonaws.com iPhone-von-Theo.lan Retried N/A (0.0ms)

Pi-hole is accurately reporting the queries. A few things to look at:

1. Are the IP's static? Did a new client pick up the IP previously used by the iPhone? Check the clients currently active on your network. Typically a router will show connected clients, and there are third party software packages that will do this (i.e. WiFi Scanner for Mac OS).
  2. Is a VPN in use - the iPhone is connecting to the home Pi-hole via VPN?

Hi,

1. Are the IP's static?

No, dinamic.

Did a new client pick up the IP previously used by the iPhone? Check the clients currently active on your network. Typically a router will show connected clients, and there are third party software packages that will do this (i.e. WiFi Scanner for Mac OS).

Maybe , but why does it shows the "old client name" ?
I can check the IPs on the Pi-hole itself in the network section right?

1. Is a VPN in use - the iPhone is connecting to the home Pi-hole via VPN? No.

in the log it says "iPhone-von-Theo.lan"

does it mean that the device was connected to the Pi-hole via LAN? An iPhone? That makes no sense. Maybe really the dynamics IPs are associated with old devices names which onces had the same one.

No. "lan" is the name of your home network.

Yes.

Ok, I have the IP of this client and now? It says there were queries from it at 20:16 this evening. This device was not near our router in the last 2 weeks or longer. I don´t get it.

I checked on the router, at the moment there is no device with this IP connected.

Any hint?

Is it possible to tell Pi-hole to forget the client names and retrieve them again?

Admin GUI > Settings > System > Flush Network Table

2 Likes

Thanks. 'I thought this could solve the problem. Well , it didn´t. Now I have found out the mac adresses of these devices and blocked them. Until now all my devices work, let´s see what happens.

Are you sure it’s not the ‘private address’ feature on IOS? It randomises the MAC address.

2 Likes

I did not know this, I will check. Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.