client specific DNS but with reserved IP address??

I want some devices to bypass pihole so have added

/etc/dnsmasq.d/bypass.conf
dhcp-option=tag:opendns1,option:dns-server,208.67.222.220
dhcp-host=MA:CA:DD:RE:SS:00,set:opendns1

and my device now gets the new DNS server as part of the DHCP :+1:. However, the device also has a reserved IP address in 04-pihole-static-dhcp.conf which was working fine until I added the bypass - it now gets another random IP address from the same DHCP pool, I guess you cant have the same dhcp-host in two files? So, I removed the bypass.conf and tried adding the specific dns into the 04-pihole-static-dhcp.conf entry to give me

dhcp-host=MA:CA:DD:RE:SS:00,set:opendns1,192.168.1.101,DOTMASTER

this seems to have worked, but in the pihole DHCP web interface it now shows the IP address as set:opendns1 and the hostname as 192.168.1.101 :smiley: So is this fine, its just a visual issue with parsing the file and I just cannot edit it in the web UI? Or should I move these devices completely out of the 04-pihole-static-dhcp.conf and into the bypass file?

Details about my system:
I'm on * Pi-hole [v5.1.1] * Web Interface [v5.1] * FTL [v5.1]

If you use opendns anyway as upstream server of pihole, you could use the Group Management to bypass individual clients.
Just create a new group "Bypass" and assign the specific clients to this group only (remove assignment Group "Default"). Don't add any adlist to the Group "Bypass".
Your Clients will still use pihole as upstream, but no filtering will apply. Requests will then be forwarded to opendns.

thanks, thats certainly an option I can try. The main reason I'm trying to do this is that these devices sometimes fall over at 4:11am and drop off the network, and I haven't found any other cause at the moment other than something DNS related (its a long shot anyway, I know!). So I thought I could temporarily make them ignore the pihole and see if it resolves the problem - they dont need anything blocked on them anyway.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.