Chrome 83 ships out with enabled DoH

Hosting a recursive resolver on the Pi is very bad for privacy. All your DNS queries will be sent unencrypted across the internet, helpfully stamped with your WAN IP address.

Okay, at this point I have to question your knowledge of the entire concept.

And the recipient of those queries is who? The nameservers, and they could care less about your browsing. The TLD gets a request for the .com server, the .com server gets the next request, etc. Only the final level nameserver gets the complete request for the domain you seek, and very shortly after the request you will be browsing to the site and the site will see your browser, OS, IP, etc.

With encrypted DNS, the upstream server also has your WAN IP, along with every complete DNS query you ever make.

I'd rather operate my own nameserver over which I have complete control, rather than trust an upstream provider with the entire history, with which they are free to do as they choose.

@DanSchaper why? Are you disputing a recursive resolver sends unencrypted queries?

What is the danger of unencrypted queries to authoritative nameservers?

The DNS queries traverse third party routers to get there.

Why is this a problem? Almost all your traffic on the internet makes a few hops to get to the endpoint.

If it's not a problem, then why do we encrypt HTTPS?

To verify data wasn't modified in transit.

@DanSchaper and to protect the data from prying eyes.

@triatic Wrong.

TLS ensures that the site that you have connected to is in fact that site, and not another site purporting to be that site. The data is not altered in transit.

DNSSEC ensures that the replies from the nameservers are unaltered, and none of the DNS information is sensitive as far as I can tell.

@jfb apparently @DanSchaper is disputing the traffic is hidden. :man_shrugging:t2:

I'm not but when you're on the losing end of the argument you go for making shit up.

@DanSchaper Oof you get salty when you're wrong.

I'm always salty, and I'm not wrong.

From whom are you hiding your DNS traffic, and why? You still have to trust the upstream DNS server, whom you have handily provided your entire DNS history? That's OK?

Why is DNS traffic sensitive? Because it announces all the websites you visit to any router which cares to sniff your traffic. You are disputing the need for DoT for some reason.

And how confident are you that the upstream DNS server is in fact returning the real IPs, not IP's of their choosing?

Not disputing DoT at all, dispuing DoH is worth anything more than said monkeyshit.