changing landpage

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

If you are Experiencing issues with a Pi-hole install that has non-standard elements (e.g you are using nginx instead of lighttpd, or there is some other aspect of your install that is customised) - please use the Community Help category.

Expected Behaviour:

[hey so i use my pihole on my vps running ubuntu 20.4 lts anyway so everytime i go to a blocked website it shows that the the website is not blocked but landpage is not configured so i wanted to change how it looks like when you visit a blocked website so put my own photo or something ]

Actual Behaviour:

[umm yeah thats all im probs doing this wrong sorry ]

Debug Token:

[https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/az0vxyft68]

You are running an open resolver (your Pi-hole is accessible to the internet).

We do not provide support for open resolvers.

Edit: if this is not intentional, we can help you close this.

what the hell is a open resolver sorry im new to linux and everything so could you please explain and also why dont you offer support for it

An open resolver is a DNS resolver that is exposed to the internet and has no security features to prevent DNS Denial of Service (DDOS) attacks. Google, Cloudflare, and the like run public resolvers, but they have robust controls to prevent the resolvers from being used in attacks.

When a Pi-hole is exposed to the internet, it has none of those controls. Scanners on the internet find these open resolvers and put them to no good use. In addition to the problems caused by the DDOS attacks, ISPs will typically terminate your service if you run an open resolver.

In you want to run a Pi-hole on a VPS (assume so you can access it remotely?), then access to the Pi-hole should be limited to a VPN connection and port 53 should not be open to the internet.

okay i think i understand so i basically use that because i want to use my pihole on my own network and my vpn but i usually set up my pihole on a ubuntu laptop and whenever there is a power outage or sometimes even restarting that laptop could ruin pihole and say ftl not found and on pihole website it says connection to api lost so i just setup pihole on my vps and used that same dns in my wifi so is that a bad idea

Yes, this appears to be the cause of your open resolver.

okay thanks

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.