Can't update lists after adding (then disabling) too many 3rd party lists

Hi there. New user here. Pihole was working great until I decided to push it and install a bunch of 3rd party lists. Well that seemed to max out my little Raspberry Pi since it was now blocking about 3M domains, vs the stock ~120K. Well I disabled pihole so I could get in and comment out all the new lists and flush the log. This still maxed my CPU so I ran -repair and all is well. Except now I get "Download failed and no cached list available (list will not be considered)" and have zero domains blocked. It had been updating well, but now I'm stuch and nothing is being blocked (obviously).

My debug token is 6luadr66lz.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike

Try running pihole -r and choose repair for the method. Let us know if that helps you.

My thought is I requested too many updates of my domain lists in a short period of time. I tried again this morning and it worked just fine. Thanks for the suggestion Dan!

Yes, several lists have rate limiting on them. This is part of the reason we only check for updates once a week.

So when adding additional lists, is there any way to only have pihole pull the new lists? When I hit "save and update" from the webpage it pulls all of them.

Pi-hole caches any lists it already knows about. It still parses each one, but only downloads it from the server if there is an update.

So to answer your question, Pi-hole already does this.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.