Can't find DHCP options in Win 10 Pi-hole

Newbe here with what I expect is a simple question.

My router doesn't allow the DNS server to be reassigned. I think I can get round this by turning off the router's DHCP server (which I can do) and turning DHCP on in Pi-hole.

But... I can't find any DHCP options in Pi-hole's admin interface. Documentation I've found suggests it is on the Settings page but I can't see it there.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help.

Tim

I'm not entirely sure what you are looking for.

Pi-hole's DHCP server can be configured via Settings | DHCP.

For your router's DHCP configuration, you'd have to consult your router's documentation.

I can't see a DHCP tab in the settings screen. Why not, I wonder? Improper installation?

How did you install Pi-hole?
Does the link I've posted above work for you?

Also, please upload a debug log and post just the token URL that is generated after the log is uploaded by running the following command from the Pi-hole host terminal:

pihole -d

or do it through the Web interface:

Tools > Generate Debug Log

I installed using PH4WSL1.cmd.

The link you gave doesn't work directly, but if I replace pi-hole with the ip-address then yes, it works. I still can't see how to navigate here, though.

Not sure I can fully understand your other instructions but perhaps they'll become self-explanatory. Will try now...

[✓] Your debug token is: https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/ESRnm0kq/

That is a third-party script, neither developed nor endorsed by Pi-hole.

Also, your debug log shows your Pi-hole's web UI to differ from Pi-hole's deployment:

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Web version
[✓] Version: v5.17
[i] Remotes: origin	https://github.com/pi-hole/AdminLTE.git (fetch)
             origin	https://github.com/pi-hole/AdminLTE.git (push)
[i] Branch: master
[i] Commit: v5.17-0-gda2764e-dirty
[i] Status:  M settings.php
[i] Diff: diff --git a/settings.php b/settings.php
          index 7ff980f..3da6cf4 100644
          --- a/settings.php
          +++ b/settings.php
          @@ -213,7 +213,7 @@ if (isset($_GET['tab']) && in_array($_GET['tab'], array('sysadmin', 'dns', 'piho
                               <a href="#dns" aria-controls="dns" aria-expanded="<?php echo $tab === 'dns' ? 'true' : 'false'; ?>" role="tab" data-toggle="tab">DNS</a>
                           </li>
                           <li role="presentation"<?php if ($tab === 'piholedhcp') { ?> class="active"<?php } ?>>
          -                    <a href="#piholedhcp" aria-controls="piholedhcp" aria-expanded="<?php echo $tab === 'piholedhcp' ? 'true' : 'false'; ?>" role="tab" data-toggle="tab">DHCP</a>
          +                    <!--a href="#piholedhcp" aria-controls="piholedhcp" aria-expanded="<?php echo $tab === 'piholedhcp' ? 'true' : 'false'; ?>" role="tab" data-toggle="tab">DHCP</a-->
                           </li>
                           <li role="presentation"<?php if ($tab === 'api') { ?> class="active"<?php } ?>>
                               <a href="#api" aria-controls="api" aria-expanded="<?php echo $tab === 'api' ? 'true' : 'false'; ?>" role="tab" data-toggle="tab">API / Web interface</a>

You'd have to contact the maintainer of that PH4WSL1.cmd script for further information.

Does your title suggest that you installed Pi-hole under Win10?

Then they may have removed that DHCP screen for a purpose:
As Windows is not a supported OS, I'd guess that script would install a WSL Docker container. Note that Docker for Windows has quite a few limitations when compared to a Linux Docker install (which in turn may be imposed by WSL, probably).

Last time I checked, Windows Docker was locked to bridge network modes, neither supporting host or macvlan. And if Docker isolates your container in its bridge network, it won't be able to receive any DHCP broadcasts from clients in your home network. The same might be true for Windows WSL (but that's just a guess).
Assuming that's the case, removing access to the DHCP settings seems almost reasonable. :wink:

I don't think the script uses Docker. It is explicitly stated to be an alternative to using Docker although, as you can tell, I'm not exactly an expert!

I did use the link you gave to try to set up the DHCP server in Pi-hole. It failed in ways I don't understand, and it took a while for me to re-establish connection with my router and the internet.

I understand from you that the script isn't officially supported.

Without DHCP, Pi-hole works OK on devices where I can change the DNS server locally and that don't frequently leave the house. That'll have to do until I can get hold of another Raspberry Pi!

Thanks,
Tim

An alternative is to install Virtualbox in Windows, which is free. And then create a small Debian Bullseye VM (single core, 1 GB memory, 10 GB disk, VirtualBox ethernet adapter in bridged mode) and install Debian Bullseye on it.

Then install Pi-hole on that with the official install script. It'll take a little tweaking to get the networking set up and then you'll be able to use it normally on your network instead of the slightly crippled Windows variant.

A post was split to a new topic: Unrelated musings on VM memory consumption

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.