Cannot update my machine

Expected Behaviour:

Just trying to update my machine with pihole -up

• Raspbian minimal/light.
  • Raspberry Pi 3b

Actual Behaviour:

While running pihole -up got this respond: unable to complete update, please contact Pi-hole Support

running pihole -up again gave me this:

[i] Checking for updates...
  [i] Pi-hole Core:	up to date
  [i] Web Interface:	up to date
  [i] FTL:		update available

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade do fail also with:

Segmentation fault
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/apt-listchanges --apt || test $? -lt 10 returned an error code (1)
E: Failure running script /usr/bin/apt-listchanges --apt || test $? -lt 10

Anything funky going on in the logs? :stuck_out_tongue:

Debug Token:

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/roy6uoqyh7

Seeing as apt-get is erroring out with a segmentation fault, this may indicate that you have corruptions on your SD card.

Personally, if it were me, I would reflash the SD card with a fresh copy of the latest raspbian and start from scratch. Corruptions can be caused by sudden power loss (i.e unplugging it without first shutting down) or even if the power supply is not rated for the hardware.

Might do a reset then, thing is my pihole hasn't been powered off in a long time. uptime shows 180 days :smiley:

Try a simple reboot - sudo reboot now

is sudo apt-get dist-upgrade necessary or does pihole -up handles all the updates?

Pi-hole only checks for OS updates with apt update, it does not install OS updates.

a simple reboot did the trick and the update process is now running (updating gravity lists)

side question. How often should you check for updates with dist-upgrade ?

This is at your discretion.

apt update is the process that checks for updates.

The apt upgrade commands actually install the new software.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.