Browser is loading domains that are blocked by Pi-hole

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

Expected Behaviour:

blocked fool.com , cnn.com and rt.com as tests for blacklist. expected them to be blocked and show a site can't be reached .

Actual Behaviour:

Cleared browser caches, rebooted PC to see if there were lingering TTL's or IP address caches for these domains . Used different browsers still was able to access these sites

Debug Token:

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/7jwy7fm1tg

Please paste the output from

dig cnn.com @10.100.200.239
; <<>> DiG 9.11.3-1ubuntu1.12-Ubuntu <<>> cnn.com @10.100.200.239
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 38138
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;cnn.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
cnn.com. 2 IN A 0.0.0.0

;; Query time: 0 msec
;; SERVER: 10.100.200.239#53(10.100.200.239)
;; WHEN: Fri Jul 31 08:48:29 UTC 2020
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 41

That's a blocked domain. NULL blocking mode. Pi-hole is blocking.

Note: cnn.com is not the same as www.cnn.com or ads.cnn.com or anything.cnn.com.

Dan . I can see that its blocking . If I do 'dig' on cnn.com , rt.com or any other blacklisted domains , I do see that they return 0.0.0.0 . AND Yet when I used browser to access the blocked domains they were accessible .. been banging my head for 3 hours now ...

dig output demonstrates Pi-hole to be blocking as expected.

If your browser still resolves, it's very likely specific to that browser - either a a caching issue or a browser setting.

Try clearing your browser's cache to wipe out any known IP's for previously resolved hostnames, and disable the DNS-over-HTTPS (DoH) and "Help resolve naviagtion errors by using a Google DNS web service" features in your browser.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.