Best way to install pi-hole on Synology NAS (DSM 6.2+)

I've read a couple threads on how to install pi-hole, but the information is confusing and conflicting with one another.

I am currently running on the latest DSM 6.2 and have an Airport Extreme Router (802.11ac). Will pi-hole work with my setup and if so, could somebody please post clear and detailed step by step instructions on how to install, configure and get this working?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Does this also mean I don't need to run ad blockers in Safari/Chrome anymore since pi-hole will handle this on a network level for all machines connected to my router?

We can not provide much support for Synology, especially as none of us own one of the devices. If yours supports Docker, then try following the Docker instructions: Docker Hub

It is up to you if you want to continue using browser-level ad blockers. Some people do so to make sure the spaces the ads used to occupy are removed, and it helps with YouTube ad blocking.

I am pretty close, and I will write it up when done, but for now have a look at this-

which may still require a bit of work

Adam

1 Like