Asus help pihole

I have an Asus router and have set my pihole IP under LAN but every now and again ads start appearing as if the pihole is not being used?

From a client that you believe should be connected to the Pi-Hole for DNS, from the command prompt or terminal on that client (and not via ssh or Putty to the Pi), what is the output of

nslookup pi.hole

Says pi.hole.2 in A 192.168.1.2 which is my pihole IP address.

I would recomend this:
Put your Pi-Hole IP also in the WAN settings of the router (the same in LAN and WAN)

ASUS router broadcast temselves as a DNS to the LAN so if you give it a different DNS on the WAN settings (like 8.8.8.8 for example), the router sometimes will use its results and feed them to the network.

This will result in incorrect stats being displayed on the Pi-hole web GUI as some DNS queries will appear to come from the router instead of the clients.
Better let Pi-hole take over DHCP or flash Asus firmware with another.

Yes, that correct, I knew this would happen but I decided that I rather lose some accuracy in my stats in exchange for ~100% no adds. (also I don’t look at the stats very often)

I know Merlin let’s you turn off the ASUS broadcasting itself as a DNS but right now our router it too mission critical to experiment with a non official firmware.

So why not switch DHCP ?
Clients will notice nothing if copy over DHCP range settings.
Mine has been running for 3 years now without a glitch.
Ps. I also own an Asus router.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.