Application not working on smartphone

Hello everyone,

Expected Behaviour:

I can use my phone and pihole should remove ads on apps

Actual Behaviour:

i've just installed pi-hole on my personal debian home-server but i can't get it to work(i think)
i've installed pi-hole for both filtering ads and tracking on my local network (without vpn) but also on my phone (with wireguard).
Today my phone is connected to my server with wireguard and it works well.
after the installation of pi-hole (with no problem) i've put the new dns (the ip of my server) on the wireguard conf of my phone. And now i've got not internet at all on my phone.
I need to disconnect from wireguard on my phone to get my internet back.
i think that pi-hole is not blocking ads also on my local network as after few days, my dashboard still remain with 0 on all the stats.

Whne i go into tools > network on the interface, i can see all my device (local + my phone) but in the colum "number of queries", i've got 0 on each line.

i think i miss something on the pi-hole configuration. or it is related to the firewall ? (i'm using UFW on my server).

i think that pi-hole is not working at all on my local network and also over wireguard on my phone.

Debug Token:

Pi-hole debug token

thanks a lot for your help

Your're currently listening only on your wireguard interface, but not your interface eno1:

[✓] IPv4 address(es) bound to the wg0 interface:
    192.168.215.1/24

PIHOLE_INTERFACE=wg0
    IPV4_ADDRESS=192.168.1.86/24

DNSMASQ_LISTENING=single

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Discovering active DHCP servers (takes 10 seconds)
   Scanning all your interfaces for DHCP servers
   Timeout: 10 seconds

* Received 322 bytes from eno1:192.168.1.254
     Offered IP address: 192.168.1.86
     Server IP address: 192.168.1.254
     Relay-agent IP address: N/A
     BOOTP server: (empty)
     BOOTP file: (empty)
     DHCP options:
      Message type: DHCPOFFER (2)
      server-identifier: 192.168.1.254
      lease-time: 86400 ( 1d )
      renewal-time: 43200 ( 12h )
      rebinding-time: 75600 ( 21h )
      broadcast: 192.168.1.255
      hostname: "Debian-Serveur-Matt"
      mtu: 1500
      dns-server: 192.168.1.254
      domain-name: "lan"
      router: 192.168.1.254
      netmask: 255.255.255.0
      --- end of options ---

I would recommend to

1. run pihole -r choose reconfigure to listen on eno1
  2. configure your router to distribute Pi-hole's IP as DNS server via DHCP, currently it distributes it's own IP (dns-server: 192.168.1.254)
  3. you should dis/reconnect your clients from the network to pickup the new DHCP infromation. they should start using Pi-hole
  4. in the web interface, set Settings->DNS-> Interface listening behavior to Listen on all interfaces to make Pi-hole responding also to queries via the wireguard interface
  5. use https://docs.pi-hole.net/guides/vpn/wireguard/overview/ for additional configuration information regarding wireguard and Pi-hole
1 Like

So,

done that with no problem.

i've added a new rule in my ISP router to distribute also on my pi-hole ip (192.168.1.86) as well as the existing rule with th ip of the internet router.

i stopped the wireguard connection on my phone and then enabled it again (even tried restarting my phone)

done that too with no problem

But still no internet on my phone while i'm connected to wireguard, i need to disconnect Wireguard on my phone to get internet back on it !

Here is the new debug token

thanks a lot for your help

Confirmed by your debug log:

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Discovering active DHCP servers (takes 10 seconds)
   Scanning all your interfaces for DHCP servers

* Received 326 bytes from eno1:192.168.1.254
     Offered IP address: 192.168.1.86
     DHCP options:
      server-identifier: 192.168.1.254
      dns-server: 192.168.1.254
      dns-server: 192.168.1.86

BUT: This will allow clients to by-pass Pi-hole via your router's IP.
Pi-hole has to be the sole DNS server in your network.
You should remove your router's IP address from your router's DHCP DNS settings.

This would suggest a problem with your Wireguard configuration rather than Pi-hole.

Did you take a look at our Wireguard guide as suggested by yubiuser?

The thing is that in my ISP router, i can't remove the IP remove the server ip from DHCP DNS settings. I think it's forbidden by design.

The option for my router ip as DNS is greyed out so i can only add more DNS.

I did put the IP of my Pihole as DNS also in the interface setting in wireguard on my phone and on my desktop local computer too (which is not connected to wireguard) ! Was it right ?

I had wireguard working like a charm before installing pi-hole ! I didn't make any change in Wireguard configuration.

I will :slight_smile:

So i checked my Wireguard configuration acording to the pi-hole documentation and it seems all good.
I don't know where to look for !
Thanks in advance for your help.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.