Application Control filtering with Pihole

Is there something that can do Application control filtering on Android/iOS devices of Applications? e.g Block tiktok on a DNS filtering?

I don't understand the question. Can you describe specifically what you want to do?

Well We can do URL filtering. But we can not block specific Application level services. e.g Tiktok.I black list the site and is not accessible on my pc but it is on my Android because it can understand the platform. This can be solved with Application Control Filtering like in Enterprise web gateways.

Use these tools to determine what domains the app is using, and blacklist as needed.

There is also the possibility that the android device is using a DNS server other than Pi-hole.

that shouldn't be the case since. All ads are getting blocked. Application Control filtering is a different thing.....Web Gateways as enteprise products have this feature. It would be great to have the same in Pihole since its open source.

That would require a web proxy, and most likely MITM to break TLS (https) sites. Neither of which works worth a damn on a Raspberry Pi.

yes true.....but its a shame really. I mean Application Level is important. but why do you think it doesn't worth it? I mean ok you don't have a proxy at home but pihole does DNS filtering. so it could track and block if profiles were available certain applications.

The interface is 100MBps on a Pi, less if it's wireless. The CPU can't do DPI so anything that uses TLS would be untouchable. The hardware just isn't built for that purpose.

Raspberry Pi 4 is 1Gbit interface not 100mbit. image

Very few users waste a Raspberry Pi 4 on Pi-hole.

Edit: None of the Pi-hole developers are interested in writing a proxy. None of the developers will ever write anything that is MITM. If you want it, you can see the code and you can write the features you'd like to have. You're not going to debate me in to adding this.

Hehe i have like 6 rpi 4 laying around the house here and there so its not a hussle to use one for pihole. In any case than you for your input :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.