Android ignores DNS [solved]

Hi There!

I have a freshly installed pi-hole version on my Raspberry and added the fixed IP to my Fritzbox 7490. My Windows PCs, the Macbook, the NAS and the other Raspi are using it automatically and it works just fine.

Android does not. I have a Nexus 5, Nexus 6 and Nexus 7, all with Vanilla ROM and unrooted. All devices were already restarted and the Chrome DNS cache was also cleared. The App "Network Info II" tells my that my DNS1 is the IP of the pi-hole, I also see about 5 DNS request on the pi-hole per day.

What I can't see is my custom DNS entries from the pi-hole (but I see the ones from the Fritzbox, even newly created) and I still see Ads.

Does anybody have similar Problems or (better) solutions? :slight_smile:

Thanks for any help!

1 Like

Interesting...we have someone else using a Fritzbox, but is having trouble with Windows 10.

Do you happen to have another router you could test in place of the fritz?

Indeed interesting. My two Windows 10 PCs are just working fine (and I see a few hundred request a Day)..

But no, I sadly have no other router around.

Just found this:

https://en.avm.de/service/fritzbox/fritzbox-7390/knowledge-base/publication/show/663_No-DNS-resolution-of-private-IP-addresses/

I had he same issue. No matter what I manually set the info to my android devices were spotty at best. I had to set my Router WAN DNS to the Pi as well. When I did that I could immediately see the requests from android devices in the query log, as coming from my router. And I soon saw in the log several other devices that were not honoring the DNS server that my router would provide with DHCP. Several devices seem to use the gateway as the DNS server regardless of the DHCP settings.

Bottom line, the ad blocking works, but it's harder to see which client is making which request. My router now accounts for half or more of the requests I see each day. The other half distributed amongst the devices that picked up the DHCP provided DNS.

@jacob.salmela
Sorry for my late reply, tested it but forgot to answer :slight_smile: This one did not work, the problem is that the pihole completely ignored by android devices...

@quarlow
Thanks! This one worked for me. I added my pihole as primary DNS and google (8.8.8.8) as secondary as a fallback.

Fritzbox has IP6 (and ip6 dns support).
Try to disable ip6 (DHCP server and internet connection) as a test..

From another post: If you're using chrome open chrome://net-internals/#dns and clear the cache.

I used fing to help troubleshoot. osxdaily.com was pulling ads on my phone but it was from the DNS cache. I used fing app to ping ad sites; fing would properly ping pi's IP when pinging ad sites (hint - tools tab). so basically it's working but isn't working... your mobile device leaves home base, "learns" the DNS of ad sites, comes home, get's on your pi-holed network but still pulls ads!

About the only way i can see to stop it is to run a VPN or SSH tunnel 100% of the time.